Multiple language clients

Translation help and language issues

Postby celephaiis » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi,

I belong to a French guild. I have been waiting a long time for a French translation (thanks everybody for this last realease) and I've recently installed WoWRoster v1.7.1.

Almost everything is doing well (except for some minor bugs) but I am now faced to another problem : client language.

Indeed, WoWRoster seems only to handle characters chains in the language that they have been uploaded.

Since my guildmates use different language packs (frFR, enUS) recipes, skills, factions,... appear in French and in English. For instance for a given trade object : French and English recipes are treated as two different recipes which is a bit annoying (http://www.guilde-obliterate.org/roster/tradeskills.php for tradeskills examples).

Is there any way of getting rid of this easily ? I am afraid that this will need some deep code modifications. Hope that I am wrong :shaking:

Thanks in advance for your answers...
celephaiis
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:30 pm

Well, everything is imported into Roster from the client
So if the client is using frFR, everything they upload is in their locale
The same goes with enUS

So yes, the same item will be treated as two separate items in Roster for the fact that the language is different for each

celephaiis wrote:Is there any way of getting rid of this easily ? I am afraid that this will need some deep code modifications. Hope that I am wrong

I wish you were wrong as well
"Fixing" this would require massive changes to Roster and a creation of an item database of every item in every locale
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby sturmy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:40 pm

I specialize in silly ideas, but we could obtain the Blizz item ID and lookup the translation against alla or otherwise and then cache it, but then we become dependant upon the link between the server where roster is installed and Alla...

And this... is sometimes flaky (ref: Missing Recipes, an otherwise fantastic addon!)

Massive thinking and modification to do that IMHO. I like the current way Roster "learns" about items, skills etc... which is via the client imports directly.
sturmy
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Postby zanix » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:55 pm

I always thought that the way Roster imports data from WoW was very ill conceived
But since, I've worked on this project for more than a year and now I see that this design was well thought out

Roster learns about new items, quests, rep, talents, etc...
Pretty much anything in Roster is quite dynamic
For instance, if you get bad data in Roster, it only affects one character (for the most part, think *keys page*) and all they need to do is rescan their character and re-upload

Now this does have certain problems with it, with multi-locale Rosters
Duplication, this happens because each character has their own db data and does not rely on much else
So therefore we get 500x
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby celephaiis » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:05 pm

:sob:
too bad...

One more question if I can.

How does WoWRoster handle icons <=> items matching ? Is it also learned from the client ?
celephaiis
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby SethDeBlade » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:32 am

@zanix i understand the problem. would it only require minor codechanfing if you would have on langagefile for each locale which contains the skills and recipes of that language? so if someone is comparing recipes the duplicates will be found via the textfile.

e.g. Mooncloth robe-recipe -> chars clientlocale -> looking for string in clientlocale-file -> looking for string in other locale-files -> querying the chars for that string

what i cant estimate is if that would be a solution which would be fast in execution. i think about that already a pretty long time because i was thinking about a solution for the reputaion addon to handle the different entries in pulldown-menu as one factionitem.
SethDeBlade
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Re: Multiple language clients

Postby nekromant » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:14 am

celephaiis wrote:Since my guildmates use different language packs (frFR, enUS) recipes, skills, factions,... appear in French and in English. For instance for a given trade object : French and English recipes are treated as two different recipes which is a bit annoying (http://www.guilde-obliterate.org/roster/tradeskills.php for tradeskills examples).

My guildmembers use different language packs also, but I have the tradeskill working without problems since I don't translate the "Tradeskill-Array" section, keep it with the english words and try it!
nekromant
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby tuigii » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 am

Hi everybody,
Just drop in overhere to have some more anwers about multiple language Guild members (the tradeskills page):
More languages solutions in tradeskills.php
Last edited by tuigii on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Return to Languages / Localization