2.3.3 - mob kills me, last player I scrapped gets credit

Forum Dedicated to PvPLog, (The WoW PvP data collector addon), and PvPLog related topics

Moderator: bsmorgan

Re: 2.3.3 - mob kills me, last player I scrapped gets credit

Postby Lauren » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:09 am

Ok, trying again.
Attachments
pvplog.zip
(4.5 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Last edited by Lauren on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby shaun.voysey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:16 am

Brad, Just a couple of thoughts dealing with the mob/target problem.

1. Although a player cannot automatically target a mob. Once a Mob attacks you. Your new target is now, automatically, the attacking mob. (I think that makes sense. :scratch: )

2. The attacking mob will be listed in the Combat log.

Keep up the good work on this addon. It's invaluable to the BG'ers.
shaun.voysey
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby bsmorgan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:10 pm

Lauren,

That was the correct file. I've attached a fixed version of your data. If you've done too much PvP since you sent me the file, you can fix your current version yourself with a text editor such as NotePad. It should be fairly obvious what needs to be deleted for each record but if you need help, let me know.

Regards,

Brad
Attachments
pvplogfixed.zip
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Postby bsmorgan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:50 pm

Shaun,

Prior to version 2 of WoW, addons were able to directly target by name. PvPLog would pick up the attackers from the combat log, target them, and collect the information it needed from them. It actually collected this information at the time of death (either theirs or yours).

Since version 2 of WoW, addons can no longer change the target at will. Addons can gather information only about a UnitId. The UnitId PvPLog is most interested in is "target". Since PvPLog can't wait until death to collect information anymore, it captures information about every "target" it sees (Blizzard provides an event, PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED, that is used to gather this information). PvPLog also keeps a list of names captured from the combat log (again, Blizzard provides events for each line in the log).

At the time of a death, PvPLog checks to see if it has the information about the name that was involved. If the information is available, then its used. If the information isn't available, then the death goes unrecorded.

I have tried to be very clever about how much information I keep around. If I keep the information too long, it becomes stale (the enemy's level, for instance), and if I keep too much, the performance suffers. PvP battles can get complicated with multiple players on each side pounding on each other. Out in the world, you can add hostile NPCs to this mix. As evidenced by the contents of this thread, sometimes I wasn't as clever as I should have been.

Add to this support for multiple languages most of which I do not have access to and you can see that my job is sometimes complicated. Fortunately, I have a community of people such as yourself that are willing to pitch in and help when needed. I've concentrated my efforts recently on adding better debugging abilities to PvPLog so that my community of helpers can provide the information I need to make PvPLog better. Together we can make it happen!

Regards,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Postby bsmorgan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:07 am

The topic of this thread is "mob kills me, last player I scrapped gets credit" and I believe this problem has been fixed. If you have this specific problem, then please post a reply to this thread with the debugging data attached as described above. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread with a descriptive title (and the debugging data attached)!

Thanks,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Previous

Return to PvPLog