Where's the cache?

A signature and avatar generator addon

Moderator: zanix

Where's the cache?

Postby bsmorgan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I've got SigGen 0.2.1 installed on Roster 1.7.2 with the patch that fixes problem where the whole guild gets sigs and avatars updated even though you've told it not to do that.

I can see when I upload my characters that the sig and avatar are updated and from SigGen config, I see the correct data when I preview but if use a URL to my signature on some other site, I always seem to get an old version.

My first thought is that Apache (on Windows installed as xampp) was doing the caching and I looked unsuccessfully for a way to tell it not to do that. You would think that this cache would clear when a new version was generated via an update.

It could also be someone else up the chain that's doing the caching. If I remember right, there's some HTML caching metadata that can tell other sites not to cache this request. Does (or could) SigGen provide this metadata?

Do anyone have some clues on how to get to the bottom of this?

Can someone provide me with some hints or examples on how these signatures and avatars should be used?

Thanks,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Where's the cache?

Postby zanix » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:07 am

Yes, SigGen uses "e-taging" to tell browsers that they can cache the data when accessing the image via the php script (sig.php, av.php, siggen.php)
The date code should change whenever that character has been updated in Roster, but sometimes this doesn't work
You can turn off "e-tagging" in SigGen Config

SigGen also can generate "real" images (if it is turned on) which are saved to (default location)
roster/addons/siggen/sig/CharName.png
roster/addons/siggen/av/CharName.png

So you can either link to the php script, or the "real" images

I do have a pretty extensive wiki documentation page
http://www.wowroster.net/wiki/index.php ... don:SigGen

It explains many things about SigGen
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Return to SigGen