Possible Bug/Error (Serious)

Requests, feedback, and general discussion about WoWRoster
DO NOT post topics about WoWRoster AddOns here!

Postby dmentia » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Very recently 3 of my guild members inc myself downloaded the Character profiler. No other UI's or Mods.

All of our in game characters have been deleted. Blizzard is saying they were manually removed. Since this is the only change any of us made and it is one we all made We have to suspect that your new updated characterprofiler has a serious problem.

2 of us have been playing since beta and have lost some major time and characters.
dmentia
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zeryl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:24 pm

Unless you downloaded the Character Profiler form ANY site other than here, or www.rpgoutfitter.com, it was not as a result of this.

LUA (the code addons are written in), has ABSOLUTELY no way to retrieve LOGIN name, OR PASSWORD.

Let me repeat, THERE IS NO WAY TO RETRIEVE USERNAME/PASSWORD in lua.

Now, if you downloaded some executable from some site, then I bet it was trojaned. It WAS NOT characterprofiler.
zeryl
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: Possible Bug/Error (Serious)

Postby dmentia » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:31 pm

They were downloaded from this site only. It is the only mod that all of us had the same. GM's say the characters on the account were all deleted intact what ever that means. It was the only mods we were useing because the roster in other guilds was a handy feature.
dmentia
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zeryl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58 pm

Have you visited Allhakazam recently? Thottbot? They are BOTH known for keyloggers in their ads. Not intentionally, but they have both been found guilty of it.

Also, have you downloaded any "cheat" programs for WoW? We're not here to judge, but 90% of them are trojan'd.

My advice to you, is to download AVG Anti Virus, and run a full scan.

Let us know what you find out.
zeryl
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby robojerk » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:11 am

If your guild mates still have their CD keys they can get their toons back from Blzzard. They might end up losing some gear but it's better than nothing..

If you trust your guildmates not using some sort of hacks, I'll bet their accounts were stolen from the result of a key logger. Sites like thottbot, allakhazam, and Curse-Gaming depend on revenue from advertisers to keep their sites up. The downfall is some advertisers create malicious ads that contain torjans. This is why it's so important to protect yourself when surfing the internet. Using alternative browsers (Firefox, Opera), ad-blockers (& script blockers), and keeping your system up to date is the best way to protect yourself.
For the Horde!
robojerk
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby dmentia » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:34 am

Only one had their password changed. We use thottbot but only to search no mods or addons. We also don;t have cheats and are well aware to stay away from alakazam. I also have AVG and one has gone though symantac's online live assistance and there is nothing.

So far Blizzard claims that we must have deleted our toons and will not do anything... Like we would willingly delete lvl 60+'s and about 10-15 other toons each.

Blizzard is not getting our money. We recently had our guild disbanded after a server crash (or during) we came on after the crash after last patch and no guild. (which was annoying but the roster wouldn't instal with our last guild name anyway.

Blizzard is blaming everything but them selves and I know 100 other people that use this site and never had an issue. But we wanted to do an fyi just in case.
dmentia
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: Possible Bug/Error (Serious)

Postby Lorek » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 am

Hi, i'm sorry to hear about your guildmates. I too was hacked this weekend. In fact I was on as it happened. Saturday Night at a couple minutes after midnight. They basically sold everything on every character and sent the gold off somewhere. I'm kinda a security freak when it comes to people knowing my passwords and having firewalls etc. So it came as a complete surprise when this happened. My computer is fort knox and they still got in.

From what I've been able to piece together one of the web advertisements that on ui.worldofwar.net or thottbot.com had an embedded keylogger in it. So you just visit this site for a search about quests or an item and u get it if your unlucky enough to get the random ad.

On top of that it was very hard for me to detect it even after I knew it was there. Latest Definition's from Mcafee, AVG, Panda Software, and Jotti's were unable to detect it. Kaspersky's scanner was though.

The specific version of the one that got me was Trojan-PSW.Win32.WoW.dl
it placed a file in my system32 directory called ouviewer.dll along with a couple other things.

I hope this information helps and I wish you the best of luck in regaining the things that were lost when your accounts were hacked. I'm still waiting for blizzard's special investigator to get back to me to restore my shaman who was completely decked out in 2.5 epics who now stands naked with nothing but a HWL Spellblade.
Lorek
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to General Support & Feedback