User Settings

Requests, feedback, and general discussion about WoWRoster
DO NOT post topics about WoWRoster AddOns here!

User Settings

Postby drunk » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:28 am

As I was looking at the make up for the R2, I saw you had planned the possibility for a "User Settings" area (or that's how I read it anyways), and on another post you've said that there should be the ability for people from other guilds, servers, and even countries to load up their information.

I was wondering how this would work without having to do a custom collection addon like Character Profiler. On the one hand a custom module for this would benefit you guys by making sure you got all the data you want/need, but it would also mean more work on your part (because you would have to fix the updaters, and the R2 scripts every time Blizzard changed something).

So to make this semi-secure and easy to use for the site admins, I propose a WoW Addon that does the following:

- Have a random seed "Key" that is attatched to the Addon and the R2 script.
- Create alpha-numeric passcodes for people allowed to upload to the roster that they would imput like admins do with the Guild Profiler script now
- Give the Addon options such as guild members, friends, invited people (maybe even by mail?), and even everybody (if someone was that bold).

Also, with this new possibility of everyone and his brother being able to upload files to your site, is there a way to add limits to this? I know not much could be done as once you've uploaded you've already used the bandwidth, but maybe you could allow admins to set limits on how many times a certain IP could upload per week/day/hour/min.

Anyways, those are just a couple things that popped into my head.

Thanks,
Drunk
drunk
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

User Settings

Postby PleegWat » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:01 pm

We'll keep using the rpgo-CP. There will of course be the possibility of restricting R2 to a single guild. Other likely options are allowing multiple named guilds on one or more servers, in one or more regions (us/eu/cn/etc), allowing everyone on a single realm to upload (realm sites with rosters exist) or simply allowing everyone to upload. Specifics on functionality I can't give, cause there isn't any of this in code yet.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Return to General Support & Feedback