To Staff of wowroster.net

General chat forum
DO NOT post bugs/feature requests for WoWRoster, PvPLog, UniUploader, or UniAdmin here

Postby Ohlo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:29 am

Hey guys/gals,
I notice that you guys are having to take donations to keep the site up. I'd been happy to host you on my webserver at no charge. Just let me know what kind of bandwidth and webspace you need and I can get you setup. If you are not interested, I'd be happy to host a fallback or rollover site for you if your main goes down.

- Gordon
Last edited by Ohlo on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ohlo
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:53 am

Although we take donations for the site, anything that the donations do not cover, Matt (and any of the other devs, if they can) takes care of the server bill

If you wanted to know how much bandwidth we consume, it's around 1GB per month and we use almost 10GB of hard drive space

I would talk to Matt if you want to run some sort of back-up

We are currently setting up a new dedicated server over at startlogic.com with much better specs than what we have now
CPU: Athlon 64 3200+
DISK SPACE: 160 GB SATA
RAM: 2 GB
BANDWIDITH: 1500 GB

We will move when we get everything set up how we like it
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby Ohlo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:56 am

Thats kewl.. I own my own hosting company. So its no biggie.
Ohlo
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: To Staff of wowroster.net

Postby mdeshane » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:36 am

There's only two problems with StartLogic, it takes for ever to get a hold of someone in charge and they have file limits. However, because of me they may offer a new type of hosting package in the future. Overall StartLogic is a good host. I have 6 websites on 1 account with 200GB Capacity and 750GB/mo of Bandwidth. Of course, if you all need yet another file mirror or anything let me know. My webspace is your webspace. lol :mrgreen:
Accounts Addon - Roster v2 User Account Addon

PKC Dev Site - http://dev.pkcomp.net
My Roster Dev Site - http://myroster.dontexist.net
mdeshane
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Realm: Khadgar (PvE) - US

Postby PleegWat » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:04 pm

I do not expect getting hold of someone in charge to be a problem.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby Anaxent » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:26 pm

mdeshane wrote:There's only two problems with StartLogic, it takes for ever to get a hold of someone in charge and they have file limits. However, because of me they may offer a new type of hosting package in the future. Overall StartLogic is a good host. I have 6 websites on 1 account with 200GB Capacity and 750GB/mo of Bandwidth. Of course, if you all need yet another file mirror or anything let me know. My webspace is your webspace. lol :mrgreen:

Well yes on a shared hosting plan there is a file limit of 50k files allowed to be hosted on the startlogic plans, but im sure there are many hosting companys out there that have limits just like this. WoWRoster.net is going to be using a dedicated plan so there for would not need to get ahold of anyone in charge as we are the one in charge from here on out. Worse case and we do need to talk to someone.... I do have the best inside connection.
Anaxent
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby zeryl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:18 pm

I've used more than 5 hosts in the last 5 years, and have stuck with Startlogic , and won't leave them , unless prices become outrageous. All of those hosts i've used, I've left within 6 months, and every single one had a file limit. It's unknown to me as why, since you can change some settings on hard-drives to make that limit MUCH higher, but they've been there.

And as Anax said, they are great with support, at least every time i've needed any help.
zeryl
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby mdeshane » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:42 am

zeryl wrote:All of those hosts i've used, I've left within 6 months, and every single one had a file limit. It's unknown to me as why, since you can change some settings on hard-drives to make that limit MUCH higher, but they've been there.

And as Anax said, they are great with support, at least every time i've needed any help.

The reason they have the file limit is because they use the Berkley Fast File System. In FFS it uses inodes as indexes for each file. For every file in FFS you need an inode. The problem is that you can't reset the inodes without reformatting the hard drive. Thus we get file limits which I have nothing against. I just think they're set too low for as much disk capacity as they offer.
Accounts Addon - Roster v2 User Account Addon

PKC Dev Site - http://dev.pkcomp.net
My Roster Dev Site - http://myroster.dontexist.net
mdeshane
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Realm: Khadgar (PvE) - US

Postby Anaxent » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:49 am

Right Mizak, and that I do agree with. They have set them limits before they started offering these new quotas I'm sure. I would hope future servers that would be built would have more inodes to support the larger storage hosts are now providing. granted im also sure that mosts host sorry clients look at most bang for the buck even if they will or will not even come close to using it... its just the point I suppose in there minds.
Anaxent
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Return to General Chat