Two questions, Iframes and blocks

phpNuke integration forum

Postby Jypsy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Heyas all,

First I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted in the past, since it solved 90% of my problems without me ever having to bug anyone...until now :)

I have set the site up at pepper.shim.net (or admviper.com/pepper) and so far everything is working the way it should, I just need some advice touching things up a bit.

I used the module that was posted earlier, and the IFRAME functions more or less properly, but I had to remove the blocks on the right side to get it to fit without cutting half of the roster's information off.
I tried adjusting the width of the iframe to 100% and various amounts but that just makes it scroll. I compromised temporarily and removed a few fields from the roster default view, but in some views/addons you must scroll horizontally to see the entire thing. This is something I wish to avoid, and if possible, I would love to have it set so we can have the right blocks enabled.

If this is an iframe issue, (which I suspect it may very well be) what alternatives do I have? I have seen a few sites where when you click the module on the home page of nuke, it will then just display the roster, no blocks at all. This is preferrable to having disjointed pages.

Edit: (forgot to mention) I personally feel that nuke +roster is extremely busy looking, and almost cluttered. I would not mind simply having roster link to the forums that are already in place, ignoring phpnuke alltogether. Problem is, when I have attempted to link to the forums with the forum addon for roster, it tells me that "you cannot link to this page directly"

Second question...

I have followed every single instruction and tip for getting a realm status block to work, but for some reason nothing ever shows up. Realm status shows fine in roster, but when I try the various code for blocks, I get a blank block. When I go to edit the block, I see the image (realmstatus.php or whatnot) in the content box. I save the box then, and still nothing.
The same problem occurs whenever I try putting any images manually into a block.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the PhPNuke 7.9 and the current version of roster. They are seperate, and not part of the nuked package I have seen on this site.

If there is anything else I can offer to help, please let me know.

Thanks again for the great work on Roster and helping everyone, it saved me a lot of time getting it set up!

JP
Last edited by Jypsy on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jypsy
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: Two questions, Iframes and blocks

Postby natbur » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Don't know if you ever got your realmstatus problem solved, but it seems that with the newer versions of nuke, you'll need to add the code directly into the database. See the updates on the realmstatus block thread.
natbur
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Jypsy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Thank you very much natbur, I had given up on the blocks in general since it basically made roster really funky looking, and just kept it in the Iframe so I could have the persistant banner up top with the "your account-forums-downloads" etc.

I have been giving some serious thought to dropping Phpnuke altogether, but I like the way it kind of keeps the site together. (not to mention players are already disliking the way that roster handles the addons buttons, which I heard R2 is going to address.)

If I could get roster running in a module that would not make the ends of the iframe cut off, i would keep the right panel of blocks up. For now, this is allright, but suggestions are MORE than welcome :)

the site is:

http://admviper.com/pepper
or
http://pepper.shim.net

by the way, thank you very much for at least replying, it is nice to see some response :)
Jypsy
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Ymryl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 pm

I actually prefer keeping the roster and DKP pages separate from the phpnuke system. Keeping them separate allows for easier patches and modifications than waiting for someone to port them into a module (which still hasn't happened for the latest version of WoWRoster and likely never will again for EQDKP).

I-frames certainly allow for an easy way to include things into the phpnuke framework but you have already run into their biggest issue, they cannot dynamically resize. This is a real issue with separate applications like WoWRoster and EQDKP which generally take up the entire width of the screen and who's vertical area changes depending on the information being presented.

The best solution that I have been able to come up with is to keep them separate and to provide a link at the top of each menu to get back to the main page. I have considered moving to Dragonfly as the developers here use it and tend to develop the quickest ports when new versions come out but the move would still fail to address the EQDKP application and I would be forced to basically start over with the gazillion little mods I have made over the past two years (no thanks).
Ymryl
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Jypsy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 am

Hehe, yeah I understand. I was attempting to get the "Forums" addon working which simply adds a "Forums" button in roster, but it keeps creating a picture-in-a-picture effect, so I dumped that idea.

I guess the whole thing is that I mainly used PHPNuke to allow easy updating and news, but I wanted the roster predominantly displayed so some of the...shall we say..."less experienced" guildmembers would utilize it more.

The only thing that stops me from linking roster in the header of phpnuke and then just linking back to the main page, is that I honestly am having a hard time finding modules, blocks, and addons for wow out there. I used to use nuke from around 2001-2003, but it seems to me there were many many more modules, addons and that sort of thing on the net, but suddenly most sites I go to just....seem to not have any anymore. I have seen some awesome blocks on guild sites, but I can't seem to find where they came from, or if they are (most likely) created by the people running that specific guild.

Any ideas or advice how to proceed? Roster is fantastic, just is a little intimidating for some users on its own.
Jypsy
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Ymryl » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:51 am

I have downloads available for my Application and Recruitment block/modules (actually available here in the downloads section), the recent loot block (runs off of the EQDKP database for those guilds that use it) and the WoW Events block if you want them. Just shoot me a PM and I'll give you a link to them.

phpnuke sites definitely come and go but there are still some good ones out there.
Try these:
http://www.nukemods.com
http://www.nukescripts.net
http://www.nukeresources.com
http://phpnuke-downloads.com
Ymryl
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to phpNuke