Inconsistency with Dates in Member Log

Here you can find plenty of help with your general coding needs and projects
If it is about a specific program, use the corresponding forum
DO NOT ask basic questions such as "How do I print a variable", use Google for that

Postby Marticus » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:32 pm

First, I would like to say that I am very happy with this free product. I realize the effort put forth by the development staff and the community and am tremendously grateful for it. Any bugs that I report will hopefully come to resolution and add to its current greatness. Without further delay, I present my issue.

It would seem that the date being pulled from the member log is inaccurate or inconsistent. I know for a fact who I've added and removed on a specific date because I log it in my forums. What I thought it was doing was taking the previous update date and using it as a removal date for the recent update and then using a different date for the added items. I now see, however, that even that is not consistent. The dates are all messed up. I don't know if it is entered into the db incorrectly or if it is retrieved incorrectly. In either case, it is unreliable and I'm glad I keep my own log. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist in the troubleshooting of this issue.

For now, I hope this helps:

http://roster.faevictus.org/memberlog.php

The most recent update included one removal only and no additions (Felassi). The one or two previous I did not log, but is safe to assume they consisted of 8 additions and 1 removal combined. The update before that consisted of 3 additions and 4 removals. The one before that consisted of 14 additions and 6 removals. Prior to that was the initial update for this new site (we didn't transfer the data from the old site).

Anyway, with this, you can hopefully see the pattern. The additions are listed before their counterpart removals. You can see the additions in a single update are split between different dates and are also different from the date of the removals which were sometimes borrowing the date of the additions in the previous update. sigh. so confusing...
Marticus
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 am

It is kinda confusing huh?

The dates listed here will never be accurate because WoW's API doesn't allow you to get the time for g-leaves and g-invites

So we use the last time that the memberlist was updated in WoWRoster (when a guild update is ran)

Say you have 5 members to begin with when you first upload to Roster
Guild list save time: 20:55:00 03-14-2007
Steve
Bill
Ted
Todd
Ned

Their last update time (and join time) will be set to the same time that the guild list was saved in game (20:55:00 03-14-2007)

Ned leaves the guild
Jason joins the guild

You next update flags Ned for removal and stores his current data in the log table
Guild list save time: 12:43:00 03-15-2007
His last update time is: 20:55:00 03-14-2007
So his leave time is set to: 20:55:00 03-14-2007

As for Jason, his join time is set to 12:43:00 03-15-2007
The other members' update time in the guild are also set to this time

I know this is confusing, but this is the only good way this can be done at the current time until blizz lets us get exact times

WoWRoster 1.8 will change this behavior so all times in the log are set to the last guild save time

I'll repeat the steps above to illustrate

5 members to begin with when you first upload to Roster
Guild list save time: 20:55:00 03-14-2007
Steve
Bill
Ted
Todd
Ned

Their last update time ( and join time) will be set to the same time that the guild list was saved in game (20:55:00 03-14-2007)

Ned leaves the guild
Jason joins the guild

You next update flags Ned for removal and stores his current data in the log table along with the current guild list save time
Guild list save time: 12:43:00 03-15-2007
His leave time is: 12:43:00 03-15-2007

As for Jason, his join time is set to 12:43:00 03-15-2007
The other members' update time in the guild are also set to this time
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby Marticus » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks for the clear explanation. I anxiously await the new method in 1.8 as it is how I was expecting it to work already =D
Marticus
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to General Code Help