Paranoia

General chat forum
DO NOT post bugs/feature requests for WoWRoster, PvPLog, UniUploader, or UniAdmin here

Paranoia

Postby Pops » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 am

I am introducing the wowroster to my website. I think it's a fantastic project. I have had 2 people in the last year and a half get hacked and their account stolen or vandalized because of mods from cursed gaming., which up until then, we thought was a regulated and safe site.

What can I tell them about the characterprofiler addon to help ease their concerns? I don't see any data that seems to compromise the account obviously (login,ect...),
but what can I give them for peace of mind.

Obviously you guys support it and it is a absolute function of your site. How do you test it and make sure its cool before adding it to your site?
Last edited by Pops on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pops
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Paranoia

Postby PleegWat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:52 am

It's not the wow mods on curse that cause the accounts to get hacked. Sometimes ads get on those sites that contain trojans with keyloggers.

I don't think RPGO uses ads (haven't been there recently), or you could mirror the addons on your own webserver.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: Paranoia

Postby Pops » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:18 am

Well, I have put them on my server for the members to use, I just want to be sure before i post them, that I'm not giving them a account havck of some sort.

I'm not meaning to dis-respect your site, or accusing you of anything. I just want to be sure I am giving them a completely clean addon. I haven't heard anything bad from this site or that one personally, but understadn others have been effected before using mods, whether it be from the site mirror or a ad with a keylogger in it. I just want to be safe and not be the demise of a guild site.

Are there any steps I can take to check my addons or even my website itself for keyloggers or such things?
Pops
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Paranoia

Postby ds » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:52 am

It is important to point out a WoW Addon cannot store, or send your account information. WoW LUA language does not have the ability to send (to a webpage or email etc) or execute any program on your machine. The only way a keylogger can get installed is from a self extracting archive (.exe generally) from an untrusted source. Keyloggers can also get installed by website that have exploits hidden inside ad banners and images and the like. The best way to avoid this type of attack is to keep your system up to date with Windows Updates and do not use IE. IE has been the target for a majority of these types of attacks. FireFox has a great track record for avoiding these types of attacks. I recommend a couple of utilities that do a great job of removing spyware. They are:

Spy Bot Search & Destroy : http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
Ad-Aware : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/index.php
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Re: Paranoia

Postby Pops » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:21 am

Good post, thank you . I currently use firefox and those spyware progs, along with a few others. This was more of the specific info I needed for my posts. I read up on the hacks and everything I read sounded similar to you, ad, .exes, ect...
I just want to be ready when I get asked these questions about if the addon is safe. I didn't really expect the addon itself to be the problem, just if something got packaged with it somehow, that I didn't see as a .exe., redirect or keylogger.

Thank you again for a bit of insight.
Last edited by Pops on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pops
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Paranoia

Postby robojerk » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:29 am

Firefox + Adblock stops most ads. The downside is a lot of sites need money acquired from the ad hosting companies to pay for their hosting services so this prevents them from getting paid.

Sites like WoWRoster.net are take in donations to pay for their costs so if you find the tools they offer for free useful I would suggest donating, even if it only a little so they can continue to offer a free product like and they won't have to start placing ads all over the site.
For the Horde!
robojerk
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Return to General Chat