Language independent entries in the database

Requests, feedback, and general discussion about WoWRoster
DO NOT post topics about WoWRoster AddOns here!

Postby Snipes » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:33 am

I know that this is not only regarding the roster itself but additionally the scanning tool provided by rpgoutfitters.com

The problem I already mentioned some months ago is that many people are using a multi-language environment. E.g. I am a German player using an english client (because the localisation sucks) playing on a German server with people using en/de-clients. This means that the database is mixed with German/English strings depending on the client.

For the roster software itself this works quite well, but I got a problem using the addon for the phpRaid-Synchronisation. This addon grabs the class/race/gender and resistances info of the db and enters it in the phpRaid tables. Using a mixed language environment you will have entries for "Priest" and "Priester", "Undead" and "Untoter" and so on which messes up phpRaid.

Because of that I would suggest that the data stored in the database is standardized to an e.g. english locale and the translation is done via the roster settings. Unfortunately I don't know if this is really feasable because it would mean that the scanning software (rpgo-CharacterProfiler) would have to be changed a lot. Additionally the roster itself has to be changed. And because this is a lot of work I understand if you (the devs) say "no" to this suggestion. Unfortunately Blizz does not use a standard language for saving lua-files. This would solve most of these issues.

Thanks for reading

Snipes
Snipes
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:40 am

The phpRaid-Synchronisation addon can be made to store the correct translation to phpRaid
It's not that hard, the addon needs a translation table to match and upload the correct word

In fact, this is how SigGen works.
It has a translation table to convert the localized word to the english version so it only needs one set of images
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Return to General Support & Feedback