edited the wrong thing

A signature and avatar generator addon

Moderator: zanix

edited the wrong thing

Postby vendictive » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm not sure if this post is relevant here and I've learned my lesson about editing php files so please keep the flaming to a dull roar. Here is my predicament.

My guild is new and not very technically savvy so to ease their transition into our new site, I wanted to replace the mouseover for the sig/avatar's displayed on the memberdetails.php file to show the complete path to the file. The original coding for the mouseovers should look like:

Code: Select all
"/addons/siggen/sig.php?name=NAME"

I have been editing phpBB files by renaming the originals to .old and editing the file then uploading it to the server and testing it. I performed this same ritual while editing the memberdetails.php file, however, when I broke this file and attempted to rename the old one back to the original, it broke and now displays the default SIGGEN WORKS rather than the real sig/avatar image. I have even tried unpacking and copying over the original memberdetails.php file from a roster download to the server again and it will not change.

I have attempted to clear my internet browser to see if that solves the problem like it did with a member below, but still nothing. My site is www.uuuguild.com and would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

What vexes me is the fact that if you go to the sig.php?member=NAME file, the avatar/sig pulls up fine. Can I simply replace the name in memberdetails.php with member and have that work? I've tried everything I can think of but rather than trying to reinstall the roster or the addon, I figured I would post, get flamed a little, and see if anyone could help. Thank you in advance for reading and taking the time to assist if you choose to.
Last edited by vendictive on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vendictive
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

edited the wrong thing

Postby Ulminia » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:00 am

thats right the new ver of sug gen uses this "addons/siggen/sig.php?member=Ulminia" as an example the 1.8 of the roster when relased solves this but for now you need to edit manualy
Ulminia of Zangarmarsh
Zonous of Zangarmarsh
Author of Roster Gallery
WoWRoster-Profiler Redesigner
Ulminia
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Realm: Zangarmarsh (PvE) - US
gmail/gtalk: ulminia@gmail.com

edited the wrong thing

Postby zanix » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:08 am

I do have siggen working with name= in the addon svn
I wanted to add one more thing to it before release
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

edited the wrong thing

Postby vendictive » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Is there anyway to get it to stop displaying SIGGEN WORKS now? It was working before I started editing, but like I said, I deleted the changed version and uploaded a fresh memberdetails.php and even tried a fresh upload of sig.php and neither one have worked!

If WoWRoster 1.8 is about to be released and I should just wait, I'll do that but if anyone knows of a quick fix to solve this problem or a place I might look to get the sigs/avatars to display properly when looking at a member's profile, that would be great!

Thanks again!
vendictive
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

edited the wrong thing

Postby tuigii » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:29 pm

Why not do a diagnostic on your your roster ?
Reload 'touched files' on you're of up again.

And blast away SIGGEN and just reload it again.

For both when finished: check last minuit patching and urgent mathers.
For example : name became member is an issue.

And I understand your question in the first place.
Feeding your team a ready to copie URL to give them the ability to have a signature or an avatar.

But wait a minute: here is mine:
Code: Select all
http://www.papy-team.fr/roster/addons/siggen/sig/Nowwhat.png

The site name ? They should now that one !!
The roster/addons/siggen/sig/ part : copie it also !!
The name : Nowwhat in this case : Please, if you can (humour inside, because actually, some just can't), put your name here !
End end with a .png
http://www.papy-team.fr/roster/addons/siggen/sig/Nowwhat.png

So, what you ask in a post on your forum is that they should replace the red text, and fill in their own name in non-capitals.

Not that complicated, now is it ?

Please not that we all saw a couple of billions of URL in front of us (this concerns people with a Internet access and a browser installed: your public is part of this group) - please be not afraid to have the making you're own.
You do them a favour, without knowing it :cyclops2:

Please note that I’m using an existing FILE in my example: I instructed SIGGEN that on every character update (or Guild) this file has to be generated.
And I chosed PNG format.
Why: when using the SIGGEN images on a forum, and someone pulls open a series of posts with a lot of SIGGEN footnotes, then the server (Web, PHP, SQL) takes a hit. In my case, the server also serves the forum. IN my case, only the Web server serves files (concerning the SIGGEN part).
Last edited by tuigii on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

edited the wrong thing

Postby vendictive » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:58 am

Diagnostic mode did nothing but spam me with SQL information. I am well aware of how to explain to a member the exact way to link their signature/avatars. However, in the interest in saving me time and confusion, I wanted to over-simplify it for our users.

Can someone inform me on what to do next? Should I just reinstall the roster or siggen or both?!

EDIT
I decided that I would be preemptive with my solution and changed the sig.php and av.php "name=" entry to "member=" and viola, it works! Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance.

Last edited by vendictive on Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vendictive
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to SigGen