Can't upload my characters

Support and feedback for UniUploader
UniUploader requires microsoft .net runtimes!

Postby weirdoe » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:17 pm

I tried to find something in the forum but it might be I'm the only one silly enough to have so many characters? :P

If I clear my characterfile and restart with one character it is no problems uploading it so it's correctly configured.

When I play a few others, might be enough with two or three, I get a reply while uploading it's too much info and if I play like 6 characters it simply stops to answer from the server.
I can ofc erase the file and upload one character at a time but this takes way too long time to do so please help me on this one. :)
weirdoe
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby MattM » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:26 pm

EASY! :D click clear SV contents in UU its in the sv menu

ti show the sv menu click show svs

may i ask why you have so many chars?
Last edited by MattM on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Re: Can't upload my characters

Postby tuigii » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:05 am

MattM wrote:may i ask why you have so many chars?

Even when I understand your question very well from a certain point of view, from another one : you can't ask this question :-)

The CharacterProfiler.lua file size (and the Roster LUA file management handler) hasn't any official limit.
WoW never said: you’re allowed to create just up until x character per account.
The maximum size of the SV files isn't really detailed
What is limited is often the maximum file size unloadable to an PHP web server : 2 Mb - but one could enable GZIP compression to compensate.
Memory (RAM) on the server is also a limiting resource….

A couple of weeks before I had a Guild member complaining that he couldn’t upload his character because the server timed out - he obtained a blanc page and nothing more.
I had him sending me his CharacterProfiler.lua file by mail to me : it was 980 Kb (!!).
I uploaded it from my PC, and surprise: no problem at all. It loaded without a hick.
We use a generic hoster in France - and many people use the Rosters I maintain (3 guilds with each a 1.7.3 Roster on 2 realms).
What does this mean? An ISP problem? Can't be - an ISP that doesn’t handle a simple file upload of 1 Mb will be dead tomorrow - even if it's being called AOL (oops :-)).
What this means to me is: the Guild member uses a PC that is, how can I say, in a very strange undefined situation.
I won't start enumerate what I already found on PC’s with WoW related problems - and we could exchange information on these matters for hours if we start to discus the presence of services and executables on a basic 'home PC' - you understand where I'm getting at.
Welcome in 2007 – I’m still explaining what IS, why one should USE a de-zip program. (Thank god, UniLoader starts to make that go away….)

In the CharacterProfiler.lua that my Guild member send to me, I found 11 characters on 4 realms – both Allaince & H2 side.
This guy tried nearly every character on race/sex/class combination :cyclops2:

Myself, I have myself 2 playable characters (lvl 70) and 3 Guild banker - each fully loaded: bank0 position full and 3 x 16 sacs also.
Bag0-bag5 are full also. This means my CharacterProfiler.lua is +/- 700 Kb - Please note that I use Guildprofiler, so member details of my two Guilds are present here.

Conclusion: CharacterProfiler.lua size couldn’t be a real problem (if doubt, go UniLoader and activate GZIP for 10 times more headroom).
If the upload fails [I’m NOT talking Lua parsing here: already located some CharacterProfiler.luafiles with complete rubbish in them] that means your PC has troubles sending files…. The problem is “nearby” the member. It can’t be anything else.

PS My web server at my hoster doesn't like certain member-IP's ? lol.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby PleegWat » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:56 am

tuigii wrote:WoW never said: you’re allowed to create just up until x character per account.

This is false. There is a limit of 10 characters per realm and 50 characters overall per account. However the CP.lua can be bigger if it still contains data from characters that have since been deleted.

Also, the available php memory is a much stronger limiting factor than the max file upload. The parsed lua file takes about 5 times as much room as the original, most likely because of inefficiency in php's array format. Any way around this will require significant changes in the roster updater and all addon triggers. Since a default php install has an upload limit of 2MB and a memory limit of 8MB, the memory limit is hit first.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: Can't upload my characters

Postby tuigii » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:36 am

PleegWat wrote:
tuigii wrote:WoW never said: you’re allowed to create just up until x character per account.

This is false....

Yep, I stand corrected - I read the contract, and it's actually as you said.
The limits mentioned above are imposed.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby MattM » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:28 pm

regardless unless you can get your file upload increased higher than 2MB I suggest getting a better host.
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Return to UniUploader