pvplog 2.4.4 hunter / warlock / dot issue

Forum Dedicated to PvPLog, (The WoW PvP data collector addon), and PvPLog related topics

Moderator: bsmorgan

Postby N3T_K1LLA » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 pm

When fighting hunters, if the hunter feigns death, it records it as a kill, so if you end up killing them, it counts for double.

When fighting hunters pets / warlocks demons, if the pet gets the killing blow, it does not count against you as a kill.

When fighting a warlock or anyone with damage over time spells, if the dot kills you, it sometimes will not log the death if they are out of range. <i'm sure this is typical because it has to do with a /targeting command or something>, but couldn't it be taken out of the combat log of who kills you? or is there something more to it?

These two things happen both in battlegrounds and regular pvp.

---- Other than that, it works great.
N3T_K1LLA
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby bsmorgan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:40 am

For the feign death case, PvPLog can only act on what the server tells it. Blizzard doesn't distinguish between a real death and a feigned death from an enemy player so PvPLog can't tell the difference (they just recently added the ability for friendlies to tell the difference).

For the pet gets the killing blow case, PvPLog doesn't currently associate pets with owners. I'll look to see if this is possible but I have a feeling it isn't given the limited amount of information Blizzard allows us to collect.

For the damage over time spells that kill case, there's a good chance that the actual problem is that you never targeted the player that put the DoT on you. Blizzard removed the ability for an addon to target people. PvPLog must now keep track of everybody you actively target, capture information about them, and save it. When a death is reported, PvPLog then searches this list to find information about them. If it can't find them, it doesn't record anything. BTW, DoTs were not processed correctly in earlier versions of PvPLog.

This target list is currently 45 characters long maintained in most recent to least recent order. When the list is full, the least recent is removed to make room. This list is also maintained across all of your characters in an attempt to keep information that might be relevant should you switch characters to "avenge" the death of another character.

You can get PvPLog to "chat" (and record) a lot about what its doing by executing the "/pl debug on" as described in the sticky topic. From this data we can determine if either of the last two cases you describe are bugs in PvPLog that can be fixed.

Regards,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Re: pvplog 2.4.4 hunter / warlock / dot issue

Postby bsmorgan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:12 pm

bsmorgan wrote:For the pet gets the killing blow case, PvPLog doesn't currently associate pets with owners. I'll look to see if this is possible but I have a feeling it isn't given the limited amount of information Blizzard allows us to collect.

Currently, when you target an enemy pet, I ignore it because its not a player. I can determine that its a enemy pet, but I can't determine directly who its owner is so I need some guidance.

Should I treat this as another enemy player (with limited information) and enter it in the log? If the answer is no, then I assume you want the pet kill to be credited to its owner.

Given that some number of deaths go unreported already because the player didn't directly target the enemy that attacked him, would you be willing to accept that you must have targeted not only the pet, but its owner as well in order for the death to get logged?

I'm going to assume that if you kill an enemy pet, you accept the fact that nothing is entered in the log. Let me know if you disagree (and why).

Brad
Last edited by bsmorgan on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Re: pvplog 2.4.4 hunter / warlock / dot issue

Postby bsmorgan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:17 pm

bsmorgan wrote:I can determine that its a enemy pet, but I can't determine directly who its owner is.

Its worse than that, I can't determine indirectly who its owner is either. Given an enemy pet, there's currently no function to determine its owner (even though its in the tooltip). Given an enemy player, there's currently no function to determine the name of their pet (if he has one).

This leaves only one option, either log the pet as an independent entity or leave it the way it is now, ignore the pet.

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Return to PvPLog