ArmorySync 2.6 beta possible command line version?

Sync Blizzards' Armory data with WoWRoster (addon depreciated no longer works see ApiSync)

Moderators: Ulminia, poetter

Postby Koloth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:58 am

Hi,

I have been using ArmorySync since it was introduced for roster-1.7.3 and have been very happy with it. Since I run the unix server where I host my roster (and therefore have full control of what I do on the box), I "hacked" a version of ArmorySync for 1.7.3 to bypass all of the UI and authentication parts and ran the script as a command line application out of cron once per day. The benefit of doing this was that I could have my server sync with the armory without any intervertion from any humans (and while I was asleep).

I have been looking at the code for the roster-2.0 version and to be honest I am just getting lost. I was wondering if there is any likelihood of this type of command line operation being included in the default build of ArmorySync, or if I could get some guidance on how to modify a version to work this way.

Thanks
Koloth
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby poetter » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:09 am

Hi Koloth,

that no easy thing to do. ArmorySync is working step by step an does automatic reloads of the page to do the next step. so the whole control is done with post variables.

The only way that could work is using wget or w3m an try this in a cronjob.

One word about bypassing authentication. If you do so one would be possible to flood your roster with character data of guilds you don't know. you don't really want that.

cu poetter
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby Koloth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:15 am

OK thanks for your input... looks like I may have to look at doing a command-line utility myself.
Since I would be basing the sync on the current guild memberlist I have (I update my roster using GuildProfiler) I would only be working from a fixed list of members anyway.
I may end up "borrowing" some of the code that actually syncs with the DB from your work, but I will credit you for your efforts :) (if I ever get it done that is...)

Cheers
Koloth
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby poetter » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 am

I'm interested in a cronbased update, too. Why not combine powers and find one?
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Re: ArmorySync 2.6 beta possible command line version?

Postby Koloth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:23 am

I'm happy to share anything I do...
Koloth
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Eltari » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:07 am

I am looking for exactly this. In the previous ArmorySync the way I did it was a wget command from cron. However, now this just performs the 1st step (eg 1 out of 80 chars) and then stops.

ArmorySync is working step by step an does automatic reloads of the page to do the next step. so the whole control is done with post variables.

It is the bit above which is killing my cronjob. Wget doesn't seem to be a smart enough 'web client' to realise that it needs to 'reload' the page.

I am in the same situation as Koloth has described. wowroster is running on a Unix (Red Hat Linux) host which I own and have full control over.

If I get something working, or even some ideas with some requests for changes in ArmorySync I'll let you know.
Eltari
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to ArmorySync - Depreciated