2.3 patch and possible new feature?

Sync Blizzards' Armory data with WoWRoster (addon depreciated no longer works see ApiSync)

Moderators: Ulminia, poetter

Postby gnormin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:53 pm

I was wondering if using the code that you already have made here could you create a feature that someone could log into the armory and export the data from all guild bank transactions for use on the guilds site. The data would then be broken down by item/gold transactions and the end result could possibly even give you a breakdown of each members average gold usage (positive or negative) and maybe be able to track how much that person has spent on repairs? just a few things that i started thinking about and figured that you might be the right person to poke at cause of your great work with armory sync for roster :wink:
gnormin
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby PleegWat » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Handling guild bank data is planned for the 'Guild Vault' addon zanix is building. I'm not sure of poetter's stance on the matter, but the wowroster dev team isn't fond of the idea of having people enter their wow passes in their rosters. I'm not aware of any occasions of rosters being hacked, but a main reason for that may be that there's no real reason to.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby gnormin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:38 am

that is a good point with the pw. would it be hard to have a seperate program that could scan the info thats ran from your pc and then uploaded to roster? I wish blizzard would let you use a pw just for roster.... dont know what they were thinking because it just opens up more options for people to figure out a way to get peoples accounts.
Last edited by gnormin on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
gnormin
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: 2.3 patch and possible new feature?

Postby poetter » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:17 am

Hi fetching the items won't be a problem if i can manage the login procedure. But there is still the question about the credentials. One way could be to provide them during an update so that it is not stored in rosters db.

I will discuss that with the dev team.
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby gnormin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:38 pm

That sounds like it would be an excellent way to avoid it being stored in any file directly while allowing it to browse and capture the information needed! I hope that this is something that you guys end up working with because I think many guild leaders/members would like some tools to help keep tabs on whats going on in the bank without reading the logs each day ;) There are a number of features that could be branched off of this feature including a goal meter or item requesting for tabs that have limited access.... but thats for a future post ;þ

p.s.
Wow Roster and all the people who put many hours into addons and features for it rock!
gnormin
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby tuigii » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:40 pm

poetter wrote:Hi fetching the items won't be a problem if i can manage the login procedure. But there is still the question about the credentials. One way could be to provide them during an update so that it is not stored in rosters db.

Be carefull here : storing or even using these OUT SIDE WOW (our game client) will expose YOU to real problems soon.
You'll mange the risk using it ....
The other half of the people out there, using thsese tools, WON'T.

Writing a stand alone interface / program that logs in for you, scans the bank, and puts them on the roster is possible.
Having the roster storing these credentials, well, I'm not a dev member - but WoWRoster should stay away from this - IMHO.

But, doesn't this already exists with the new addon that Zanix is about to write ???
We all have already (soon to come) acces to the Vault - without any credentials issues at all - at our free disposal.

My two cents :wink:
Last edited by tuigii on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby PleegWat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 am

Tuiigi: I posted the dev team stance on this earlier. It boils down to the same: Roster isn't secure enough for this.

Personally, I would only enter this data on a connection which is SSL encrypted and to a secure site. Setting that up in a way I'd trust is outside the budget of any guild I know.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby poetter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:43 am

Yeah, i was really disappointed to see that bliz implemented this feature without ssl. They always make a big hump with the credentials security and then they provide the best method to get some account data with the armory. lol

To end this discussion: AS will not fetch any data that need a login.
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby PleegWat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 am

It doesn't even use SSL on the armoury itself?

EDIT: I checked, it does use SSL for the login but you're directed back to a nonsecure connection for viewing the data.
Last edited by PleegWat on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby gnormin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:11 pm

well it was worth a shot :D thank you guys for considering this feature and taking the time to look into it :D
gnormin
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Dooks » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 pm

I personally wouldn't input my WoW login info anywhere else but the official WoW site.
Dooks
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby poetter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:49 pm

PleegWat wrote:It doesn't even use SSL on the armoury itself?

EDIT: I checked, it does use SSL for the login but you're directed back to a nonsecure connection for viewing the data.

Haven't check the us one, but the eu does not use ssl. poor blizard.
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby PleegWat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I checked the EU one. It's non-ssl, but if you click login you're redirected to a secure link. You enter your pass, click ok, and are redirected to the nonsecure part of the site.

The pass itself does travel over a secure link.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Return to ArmorySync - Depreciated