Vote for character update behaviour!

Sync Blizzards' Armory data with WoWRoster (addon depreciated no longer works see ApiSync)

Moderators: Ulminia, poetter

Do you want your characters updated although there are infos missing?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Yes - Better something than nothing
90%
No - Incomplete data bothers me
10%

Total votes : 10

Postby poetter » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi,

as Blizzards Armory is buggy there are some infos missing from time to time. Right now the characters are updated as ArmorySync gets char infos as a minimum. The problem is that the char is added to the updates table and will not be touched within 24 hours(default).

So now its your time. See the poll below and vote!

Pro Update:
-At least some infos on every guild chars update run.

Contra Update:
- You could do as many guild chars update runs till all infos are fetched or you are satisfied. Consider the bodys!
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Re: Vote for character update behaviour!

Postby fewyn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:19 pm

Some info is better than none imo
fewyn
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby WizardofCOR » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:45 am

Although this poll appears closed, I thought I would express my complete agreement with fewyn.

IMHO, the Armorysync addon is by far the most important feature of using WoWRoster. As evidenced by this thread,
http://www.wowroster.net/Forums/viewtopic/t=1225.html
It is quite difficult to achieve 100% compliance from guild members, in regards to updating their profiles individually.

In order for WoWRoster to be considered an effective guild tool for us, Armorysync must be there - and more importantly, it must work.

Poetter has both my utmost respect and deepest sympathy for creating what is an indispensable add-on that must exist within a very volatile scenario (beta Roster code and a seemingly ever-changing Armory).

Keep up the great work! 8)
WizardofCOR
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Keviel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm the only one, apparently, that voted against. I did that not because it "annoys" me, but because it may yield inconsistent data and updates, giving a false impression of the present status. If we're talking "some chars work, some don't" - it's fine. If we're talking "half the gear's there, the other gear's probably her roleplaying gear from last year" - it's not going to give a result I can trust for anything, except to show some shiny stuff people can gawk at (as in, "look what my site can do!"). It holds very little practical value, if I can't trust that if a character is updated, all data is there. Then it's a minor issue, if some characters don't get updated at all.

The plugin is awesome - let nothing negative be said about the inspiring amounts of work put into it.

Some data is better than none? Well, if you don't use it for anything practical, that's probably true. If you use it as a reliable source of data - then you're going to be getting trouble with inconsistent data. And again, this is by no means Poetter's fault, but possibly the worst web-developers on the planet, apparently employed by one of the biggest gaming companies in the world. The irony is depressing.
PHP: 5.2.1 / MySQL: 5.0.27 / Apache: 2.0.52
Keviel
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: Vote for character update behaviour!

Postby rremsik » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:12 am

I agree with Kev. I'd rather have all the info.

Have an option to pull all or part of the data.

for the option to pull all the data, but unable to pull everyone, here are some values to possibly make availble under an 'Advanced' section?

- Last online - If it's a character that hasn't been on for a few months to a year... who cares, let it be one of the last one's to get synchronized.
- Don't update if no login since last sync - If The character was synced Tuesday, and they haven't logged in since Monday, no since in syncing them on Friday, nothing's changed.
- Consider last time the character was updated through UniUploader (or what ever was used) - You're looking for the information on the character. If they were already updated recently, no need to upload it again.
- Lower priority if synced within last x days - If you've got a sync within the last few days, chances are, not a lot as changed and there could be others that could use an update over the recent ones.

Yes, all these depeod on someone logging in and looking at the guild. If WoW Roster is used, then I imagine someone is updating it and would be using the addons. These things would allow the ArmorySync to help fill in the gaps rather than be a replacement.

anyway, just my 2 cents worth, months after the discussion. ^^
-- Rardy @ Kael'thas
rremsik
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to ArmorySync - Depreciated