WOW What a site and Oh someone guide me please

Requests, feedback, and general discussion about WoWRoster
DO NOT post topics about WoWRoster AddOns here!

Postby Shania » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:29 am

Hellom

have my dreams come true ?
what afantastic site this place is. :)
I was poking around and came across this site and am now all excited and at the same time chewing my fingenails nervously!

Get a cuppa if your going to read this, as I need to explain a few things first!

Oh this is going to be confusing, I just know it.

Firstly I'm fairly new to Joomla, and phpbb3
I'm used too using IPB forums with a Portal but thats just way to limited for a game clan/guild site.

What I was originally looking at doing is using Joomla 1.5 with phpbb3 bridged and a theme I adore from rockettheme.
I contacted rockettheme and turns out the theme myheart is set on is not designed for Joomla 1.5 and might work using legacy but seems no one knows how joomla 1.5 bridged with phpbb3 will react with legacy to make the theme work. Argg!!

So okay, what if I dont use 1.5 joomla and use one version back, that solves my theme problem, YaY!... what about my bridge now ?
can I bridge phpbb3 with joomla one version down from 1.5 ?

if not, well there goes teh whole idea I guess.

Now I was reading this amazing guide from this site:

http://roster.thumann.dk/joomla_guide/

Now thats genuinely what I call a "guide" bloody fantastic, even if I dont understand half of it lol since I havet attempted any of it yet.

I want to use Your roster and other extensions I see available, there is just so many goodies here, I can't believe it!! I want them all :)

So please help me, advise me, because as excited as I am in finding this place, I'm fearing that some or most of the things I would like to accomplish wont be possible.

Joomla bridged with phpbb3 - without legacy I guess so the theme I desire works.
using Roster from here and various other extension for Joomla.

Do I need to have my phpbb and joomla bridged for some or all of the mods here to work ?

Personally I want the joomla and phpbb bridged if thats even possible by not using Joomla 1.5 but with phpbb3.

I have other questions but I will stop here as I obviously need these important questions answered beforehand.
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Anaxent » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:29 am

Well to get you started....
Roster was designed to be a standalone system, but we have made it much much easier for others to modify/intergrate it with other cms/forums/portals out there on the web like phpbb, xoops, dragonfly, etc... With that said we have also built a forum just for intergration which has subforums for each intergration type. Here is a post from the joomla forum asking for testers of his roster joomla componant http://www.wowroster.net/Forums/viewtopic/t=4874.html
Now after saying that Roster as of now does not have full auth which would make it hard for an intergrator to tie what would seem to be roster user functions to a cms auth based system there for there is no reason why roster or any other addon would require you to have a bridge in place to allow them to work.
Anaxent
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby Shania » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:47 am

Hello, Thank you for the response.
I did see in the Joomla forum about testers needed, I wouldnt be a good candidate since I barely know what I am doing or which direction I am going to go in.

unless I'm mistaken seems dragoncms has better luck for roster and other addons to work ???

I guess basically I'm after a cms where I can have nice pretty useful blocks on the front site and to use phpbb3 forums for the guild.

is there any reason to Not use the current version of teh roster with joomla and various addons ? Or will that not work with phpbb3 and latest joomla not 1.5 ?

I am completely confused.
I like the addons I see here, I understand they are designed to be standalone but can be intergrated into some cms'es.

For someone new like me, and have been reading through all the various pages of content has made this alot more confusing then before I began lol

Obviously I dont want just a forum if i did I would just use IPB.

So i'm exploring joomla and found a really nice template my heart is set on, and enjoying phpbb3 at the moment.

And unsure how all this can or would work all together with joomla and phpbb3.

never heard of dragonfly cms until I came here the other daybefore I signed up today.

Is that more a prefered choice for support and success for the roster and various addons found from here ?
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Anaxent » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:02 am

I know phpbb3 has a portal that can be added which gives you the cms/portal functionality which can also be seen at Adric's site http://midnightcartel.com -- really cool stuff he has done with this

Dragonflycms has a built in forums based on phpbb2 plus forumspro which is what we use here on wowroster.net's site. I have been working on a port as well for Dragonfly seen here http://cwells.net/wowroster.html

I have used joomla my self and i really do like its features, but also feel that some things should be full componants/modules to have the full intergration rather then just building bridges which only ties a few of the features in like auth but requires the bridged app to be inside of an iframe.

I guess a better question for me to ask is...
Why do you want to use Joomla and what is your main reason for wanting to use phpbb3?
Anaxent
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby Shania » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:19 am

Hello :)

Umm, Adric's site is nice, but to me that does not look like a cms or have that feel.

I like the blocks on left, right sides filled with various goodies Ive seen on some other sites.
Though his site is nice.

Ok, why Joomla ? Noidea, other then I tried it once before a fair while ago and ditched it as I couldnt do what I desire to do with it which was use it and have IPB forums integrate with it, not possible, okay, stayed with IPB.

Now I have been into WoW for close too one year and building a guild site or want too. Currently I use IPb and a Portal for my FPS genre Clan.

That won't work well for WoW as for the mods like on here I would love too have on a guild site wouldnt work with IPB so I was looking around and saw Joomla 1.5 and phpbb3 forums can be bridged... Nice.

I just love the theme from rockettheme have when I saw it a fair while.

So I contacted rockettheme and turns out the theme wont work in joomla 1.5 unless legacy mode is used and then seems no one knows if the bridge between joomla 1.5 and phpbb3 will work properly or other extensions.

I liked the theme mostly for Joomla and fact I could possibly have a cms with forums that function somewhat together and a forums thats not plain or limited in good features.

Now these ideas are deminishing because of what I have outlined above now.

So, what I am looking at is, decent forums, secure and with some good features and a way to have a cms where forums can work together and then that cms needs to have a good community supporting it with decent themes for the site and most importantly be able to use the roster from here and some of the other mods I have seen. Infact a fair amount of them I would love to have on a site somehow.

I;m just overwhelemd, and I'm also highly confused in whats best options and choices to make for the long run.
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Nefuh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Hey Shania i´m the author of the joomla component to integrate the roster 2.0.

This component only works on Joomla 1.0.xx not on 1.5, because the new framework of Joomla 1.5 makes it not so easy to make a port of roster.

But why do you want to use phpBB3 with Joomla? Why don´t you use the "Fireboard" that is written for Joomla. I used this on about 35 Guildsites with no Problems. It also works with the Joomla Community Builder.

A Bridge to a system like phpBB3 is mostly not so good, as a component that´s directly written for that system.

The 1.0.xx version is at the moment i think the best solution, because there are many components, modules and mambots out there for this version.

A sample of com_wowroster can be found at:
http://samples.online-gilde.de/index.php

Just use "test" as username and password to login.

Nefuh
Administrator of the german User2User Community for WoWRoster.
Guild Master from Scum from Hell - Horde @ EU-Anetheron.
Nefuh
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby Shania » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Hey hello Nefuh :)

I like the good helpful responses here too thank you :)

I prefer phpbb3, fireboard is plain I dont like it.
I am actually going to revert back to older Joomla series because of what you outlined, the fact there is alot more plugins etc for it.

Now next Question is, do I need too have my forums integrated with joomla to use the roster and other googies found on this site for WoW ?

If I can get away with using Joomla 1.x and phpbb3 as AND have the roster and some other nice things created here then I will be pretty happy with that.

And certainly will get me moving at last for a site and less stressing in which way to go and spending literally countless hours everywhere reading
so much text and making no progress anywhere.
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Nefuh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey Shania,

you must not integrate something, wether phpBB3 or roster. But it´s quite usefull, when your members have one single login and not for each section like Forum, Roster and Joomla an own login.

You can also use Joomla 1.5 with the standalone version from the roster and load it into Joomla with the wrapper component. But then for somethings (like guildvault (when it´s not in public mode) or roster configuration panel) you need to enter a password.

When using Joomla 1.0.15 and com_wowroster the authorization will be done by Joomla (Joomla Members = Members in Roster / Joomla Administrator = Roster Officer / Joomla Super Administrator = Roster Administrator) and the layout is even a little bit better as using the wrapper.

Goodies found on this site, are mostly addons for the roster. These addons should work in com_wowroster as in the standalone roster and needs no depencies of a forum (so far as i know).

Example:Using Siggen to generate signature or avatar images. These images can be loaded into any forum (just enter the url to the images). You can set in the addon to store the images on your server or you can enter a url to directly generate it.

You must find out, what you like to use. Joomla 1.5 is nice (even with the ajax features) but is really new, so there not so many things arround as for 1.0.15.

I don´t use phpBB3, so i can´t say anything about the bridge and how it works. But i´ve testet the phpBB2 Bridge with Joomla along time ago and it was not quite usefull. Many login problems, so my members can´t login. Then i decided to use Fireboard and i still have no problems.

Hope i understand you right (i´m from germany ;) ) and could help you a bit to find out what you want to use.

Nefuh
Nefuh
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby Shania » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 am

Hello then from Australia, thats where I am :)
I understand you perfectly :)
And really appreciate you taking the time to respond in a way I can understand.

I have decided to go with joomla 1.0.15 since it has most mods available and like you said Joomla 1.5 is relatively very new still.

I am about to "attempt" to install the roster, i was reading the guide:

http://roster.thumann.dk/joomla_guide/

and was going to follow those instructions to install it into Joomla *Gasps*

And if thats a success then attempt to do itemstats into joomla and then phpbb3 though I dont know how current or outdated the guide is.

Siggen I saw and thought that was outstanding piece of work and cannot wait too have that on my site, once I get around this little obstacles first.
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Nefuh » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:50 am

Yeah i look at the Guide and it´s very nice :)

You can use this guide for Roster 2.0 but then it´s only the standalone version that is loaded into joomla not an integration.

When you will use Roster 2.0, try to use my Joomla component com_wowroster. It´s not perfect, but it fully integrates the Roster into Joomla so that you didn´t need additional passwords. I think it´s quite usefull, because for example you set the guildvault addon to only allow members to show. Then you must tell the password to all your members. With my component all registered members (in Joomla) automaticly authorized as members in Roster. And when you´re "Super Administrator" in Joomla you can access roster configuration without entering a password.

Even for Roster 2.0 + Joomla user´s there´s another component that i have written that is possible interesting for you. com_guildinfo display´s some global information about your guild, like how many members, how many accounts, message of the day, news from the roster news addon and some things more. You can take a look at http://samples.online-gilde.de/ just click com_guildinfo (Demo).

Itemstats in Joomla try to look at Joomla Itemstats Guide

Greetings to Australia

Nefuh
Nefuh
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby Shania » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:02 am

i'm using the roster WoWRoster v1.7.3 wasnt sure if I was meant to use 2.0 but there are issues here: http://www.wowroster.net/Forums/viewtopic/t=5092.html
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Shania » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:09 am

And the guide is in German ?
Cant read it :(
Shania
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Nefuh » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:09 am

Well i have read this posting, but i don´t know if an australian realm is US or something else.

I can look if i can get your cp.lua make work in one of my local rosters (i have 1.7.3 also) and if i can get it work i can report you how i made this.

If you want this just mail me your cp.lua or send it by PM.

Nefuh
Nefuh
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby Nefuh » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 am

Which guide is in german?
Nefuh
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Return to General Support & Feedback