Blizzard started the 2.4 release process, PvPLog isn't ready

Forum Dedicated to PvPLog, (The WoW PvP data collector addon), and PvPLog related topics

Moderator: bsmorgan

Postby bsmorgan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 pm

I am extremely disappointed in the PvPLog user community.

I asked for some alpha testers and no one applied.

I asked a question about how important dueling was and out of over 200 topic views, there were 14 responses to the poll.

My conclusion is that PvPLog is a very niche addon with a very small user base. I would recommend that support in WoWRoster be deprecated.

I will eventually provide a version that "works for me" on 2.4 but there's no timeline. I'm guessing I've tested less than 10% of the cases that need to be tested.

Dueling will not be supported in the 2.4 release. I don't duel and dueling was a wart in the code. If Blizzard can be convinced to add a "DUEL_STARTING" event, then support might return. I've pleaded my case to Blizzard and I doubt that the other five people that care will be any more successful than I was.

Regards,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Postby zanix » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:57 pm

I would have applied but I do not play WoW enough to be any help

I would try on the other addon sites where pvplog hasn't been updated in quite some time
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby zanix » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 pm

And if you do not want to continue with pvplog, I completely understand

We have had a hard time keeping an author for it and now I think I know why

I do have a challenge for you though:
To build a character profiler addon, like calvin's but where we have control of what is wanted for Roster and so we are not dependent on trying to get functionality into calvin's rpgo-characterprofiler
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Re: Blizzard started the 2.4 release process, PvPLog isn't r

Postby Argusi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 am

I'm sorry to hear this. I just discovered this site a few weeks ago and have been getting my site and the addons working by reading as much as I can in the time that I have. PVPLog is a key part of getting people to beta test the WoWRoster section of our site. It was a source of friendly competition between a few of us in our guild.

Unfortunately, the number of volunteers for anything is a small fraction of the number of actual participants, in my experience. I have run into this type of thing in the past and I know it is frustrating. I hate to see a good project die, not because of lack of interest, but lack of participation. I don't know how accurate the counts are on this site, but 67157 downloads and 89399 page views doesn't seem to shabby. You are correct though to be disappointed in the community as it is us who drive you to do what you do, for us.

Personally, I'm more than willing to send you anything you need in order to keep this alive. Although I don't know how helpful logs from 2-3 guildies will be to you. I didn't see your request for alpha testers and I took another quick look while writing this. I may have missed it as I am not fully familiar with the layout here yet. I am writing this at work so I can't really dig into it right now (although I am taking the time to write this as I think it is important...)

Whatever you decide is understandable. I just hope you keep it going (and tackle zanix suggestion, also!) Thanks, for what you've done. I'm just sorry I didn't find this site and all of you developers a year ago.
Argusi
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby bsmorgan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 pm

I'm not quiting just yet.

Testing of the 2.4 version hasn't made much progress primarily because of the lack of opponents. Although I've added debugging code to capture clashes with mobs, there are large sections of the code that require players of the opposing faction. This is, after all, a PvP addon.

I've put the 2.4 version into SVN. When I have tested the code to my satisfaction, I'll post a release. This will not happen day one of the 2.4 release as I had hoped.
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Re: Blizzard started the 2.4 release process, PvPLog isn't ready

Postby bsmorgan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm

zanix wrote:I would have applied but I do not play WoW enough to be any help

I would try on the other addon sites where pvplog hasn't been updated in quite some time

I have posted on those sites I found that PvPLog is "alive and well" on this site (including a link). I did not attempt to gain ownership of the addon at any other sites. This the home of PvPLog and I'd just as soon keep it that way.

If you find a site that is hosting an old version of PvPLog that doesn't have a pointer here, please take a moment and add one.
Last edited by bsmorgan on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Postby MattM » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 am

I think PvPLog is essential, and has a very strong user base.

The problem is, it works too well lol :P

The reason nobody helps test is because they are too busy PvPing :)
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Postby bsmorgan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:46 am

MattM wrote:I think PvPLog is essential, and has a very strong user base.

The problem is, it works too well lol :P

The reason nobody helps test is because they are too busy PvPing :)

I'm sure I'll hear all about it when Blizzard releases 2.4 and they all come here for a working version...

Regards,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Postby bisaz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Greetings bsmorgan.

Is it possible to zip a beta version and put it here to download ?
I would like to test this Version (deDE Client) and give you Feedback, but i can't get SVN to work.

Btw. PvPLog is a great Addon, thx for all your hard work !
bisaz
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Try this http://www.wowroster.net/SVNergy/tortoi ... ecking_Out

If that doesn't help, then bsmorgan can choose if he wants to zip it up, it is his project after all
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby bsmorgan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:10 am

bisaz wrote:Is it possible to zip a beta version and put it here to download ?
I would like to test this Version (deDE Client) and give you Feedback, but i can't get SVN to work.

I'm not ready to call the current code "beta". Its at best "alpha" and I'm making changes to the files on my computer daily. I'm willing to update SVN more frequently but I'm not willing at this point to post zip after zip after zip as changes are made.

The version in SVN now (2.99.0) probably will work on the deDE client. I expect that there may be some future versions that are broken on anything but the enUS client as that's all I have to test with.

Use the information Zanix posted and try to get SVN working. It won't be until after 2.4 is released that I will reconsider a change in status and a posting of a zip file.

In an ideal world, there would be some additional people with SVN write access making the localization process much smoother than it is presently.

Regards,

Brad
bsmorgan
WoW Interface Developer
WoW Interface Developer

Return to PvPLog