UniUploader Error w/ Vista, Detecting SV change.

Support and feedback for UniUploader
UniUploader requires microsoft .net runtimes!

Postby boyo » Mon May 26, 2008 1:01 pm

I've been noticing this recently on a new laptop i just got and don't know what the issue is... If I manually click on upload, it will work just fine.

<!-- ############ Uploading to Primary URL...
############ http://www.guildsovereign.com/roster20/update.php -->

Error: see debug log.

<!-- ############ Uploading to Additional URL # 1...
############ http://www.guildsovereign.com/roster/update.php -->

<!-- ############ Uploading to Additional URL # 2...
############ http://www.warcraftrealms.com/uniupload.php -->

And on the debug side of things, only the relevant part of course...
[2008/05/26 02:43:46] SV File Change Detected, initiating Upload
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] Uploading to Primary URL...: http://www.guildsovereign.com/roster20/update.php
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] FileToByteArray: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua' because it is being used by another process.
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] Upload: couldnt read "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua"
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] Uploading to Additional URL # 1... - http://www.guildsovereign.com/roster/update.php
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] FileToByteArray: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua' because it is being used by another process.
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] Upload: couldnt read "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua"
[2008/05/26 02:43:47] Uploading to Additional URL # 2... - http://www.warcraftrealms.com/uniupload.php
[2008/05/26 02:56:23] SV File Change Detected, initiating Upload
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] Uploading to Primary URL...: http://www.guildsovereign.com/roster20/update.php
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] FileToByteArray: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua' because it is being used by another process.
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] Upload: couldnt read "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua"
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] Uploading to Additional URL # 1... - http://www.guildsovereign.com/roster/update.php
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] FileToByteArray: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua' because it is being used by another process.
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] Upload: couldnt read "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\CharacterProfiler.lua"
[2008/05/26 02:56:24] Uploading to Additional URL # 2... - http://www.warcraftrealms.com/uniupload.php

So is this a bug in Uni, or something to do with Vista.
boyo
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Re: UniUploader Error w/ Vista, Detecting SV change.

Postby tuigii » Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 pm

boyo wrote:So is this a bug in Uni, or something to do with Vista.

Maybe both.

First off all, use the setting in UniUploader to process (=read) the SV files 5 secondes after it detects the file change.

When it detects the change, Vista might still be writing, thus explaining the clash - because its still locked (opened by WoW for writing).

What you should do with the UniUpLoader.exe file (not the link, please) - click right on it, and on the third tab (?) activate the "Admin" rights to it.

Why ?
The new MS OS forbids an application installed in \Program Files\X to read (?) but certainly to write in \Program Files\Y
This is logic, and they are even 10 years to late with this kind of security.
MS has still one thing to do: program it's end-users to accept these kind of matters, for their own safety sake... :wink:

What really should be done, because this isn't a UniUpLoader, is that Blizzard-WoW puts it SavedVariables files, and for that matter the entire WTF directory, in the My Documents directory.
Or, make it a choice for the end-user to do so.

Please note that I can’t judge another important issue here: is .NET for Vista any different as .NET from XP.

UniUpLoader is written with .NET.
The only thing I know is that .NET is present by default in Vista, or, some old XP installations don’t have it – the installer detects that and proposes the download.

Btw : I'm a happy UniUpLoader user, not the author.
Last edited by tuigii on Mon May 26, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby PleegWat » Mon May 26, 2008 6:41 pm

My documents is not quite the right place either - should be application data.

Does UU get compiled separately for vista, or do vista users use the XP version?
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby tuigii » Mon May 26, 2008 7:58 pm

PleegWat wrote:....application data.

By default, this directory isn't viewable by user.
You have to instruct "Explorer" to make these directories visible first.
W'll ses what Bliz gonna do ^^

PleegWat wrote:Does UU get compiled separately for vista, or do vista users use the XP version?

:?:
Just one exists : 0.7.9 - and it executes with Vista and its .NET counterpart rather well.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby PleegWat » Mon May 26, 2008 8:17 pm

tuigii wrote:
PleegWat wrote:Does UU get compiled separately for vista, or do vista users use the XP version?

:?:
Just one exists : 0.7.9 - and it executes with Vista and its .NET counterpart rather well.

XP apps in vista work somewhat different than vista apps.

When an xp app tries to write to program files, vista pretends to be writing to program files, but actually writes to a secondary structure somewhere in the depths of users\<username> which is mapped over program files.

When a vista app tries to write to program files, it receives an 'access denied' error.

WoW is an XP binary, so when it writes the WTF dir in the program files folder, it actually ends up somewhere in the users directory.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby tuigii » Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Yep,

That's the "inside story" about how Vista treats 'old' XP apps.
Forbidding any writing to the "Programs Files", excepts installers will make Antivirus programs useless soon [Zanix tm].

I think that even when the "data" writes/reads in the Program Files directory, rederected to the "Users/Programs/.... directory, still doesn't allow Program X to mess with Program B files ....

Giving UniUpLOader admin rights for Vista seems to works quiet well.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby boyo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:49 pm

True, but trying to explain to a lamen how to give a program administrator rights, let alone trying to explain why they have to do it.

The weird thing is, my install of vista, will read the SV's just fine, and their actually stored in program files\wow\ . The addons are put in there too, but i thought that they would be put in the %localappdata% like it did originally. I installed vista when it was rc2 and that's what it did, *i think*.

As for where blizzard needs to save it, on mine, don't know if it's a default or not, but I have a folder called \Users\Boyo\Saved Games\

I didn't even think to do the delay, thought I had it checked, but I guess I didnt. Probably something I should put in my uniadmin too, would explain why some people aren't uploading very much that I know run vista.

I set it and will try it later tonight, at work atm.
boyo
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby MattM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:30 am

what would be a good change to UU for vista compatibility?
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Postby boyo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 am

MattM wrote:what would be a good change to UU for vista compatibility?

I dont know. The big issues that I have with vista all revolve around WoW itself not Uni. Like Addons not always updating, had an issue a couple nights ago where no matter how many times I clicked on synch it just wouldn't do it.

However, I do have some ideas for things I would like to see added to Uni, if your up to adding stuff, but that can be for another thread.
boyo
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Return to UniUploader