A question about CP and Roster

General chat forum
DO NOT post bugs/feature requests for WoWRoster, PvPLog, UniUploader, or UniAdmin here

Postby Manilas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi there,

I play a game called Knight Online and the game doesn't have addons. Recently, someone that plays the game created a program that records kills in the pvp maps of the game (kills in the pvp map appears in the chat box). He has a program that runs in the background that collects all that information when he's in the game in the pvp zones.

So, when I saw that we has able to create something like that, I asked him if it would be possible to create something similar to WoW Roster. He said it's not impossible but he doesn't know how.

So that brings me here.

I wanted to know if there is a method of gathering information about your character/guild without an addon but more like a program running in the background of your computer.

Thanks

P.S: Sorry if it's in the wrong section, has you can see, I'm pretty new here.
Manilas
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby PleegWat » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Code cache, I'd say.

I don't know anything about it myself, but someone else may. Sniffing the information from the client's memory is a completely different thing from doing it in an addon. Also, a program sniffing stuff from memory is probably against the EULA, which you may want to be careful with.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: A question about CP and Roster

Postby tuigii » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm

PleegWat wrote:....a program sniffing stuff from memory is probably against the EULA.....

The third page that is shown on every update of the Blizzard Game client talks about it: "they don't like that".

I don't thing that the Blizzard Game client is capable of detecting other exe in memory, capable of scanning their code / date sections.
But doing so will bring you right in front of another option : why 'just reading' if you could also 'write' ?? !!

This means, i.e. : God-mode ! (like in the old Doom days).
WoW being hacked = the end of WoW - again, Blizzard won't like that ^^

Btw : CP is an addon that export nearly everything.
True : the data is valid when quiting a char. And only then.
Many Guild leaders have already trouble having peopole using EXE files on your Guild members PC's like UniUpLoader.
You are talking about EXE that scans the proceses in the OS memory. That's what Trojan also do : good luck introducing your tool ^^
Any good any virus will blow it out of the water (mine does, it's paid to do so).
Last edited by tuigii on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Return to General Chat