Per-guild URL

Requests, feedback, and general discussion about WoWRoster
DO NOT post topics about WoWRoster AddOns here!

Per-guild URL

Postby ScratchMonkey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:03 am

I just installed the SigGen addon and noticed it puts the URL in the corner. It would be nice if each guild could get its own URL. I'm hosting the roster for several guilds but each guild also has its own site under its own URL.

Perhaps the UI for this could be on the upload rules page. That's the only place I see where guilds are configured.
ScratchMonkey
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Per-guild URL

Postby zanix » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:42 am

Don't you think this should be a SigGen question?
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Per-guild URL

Postby ScratchMonkey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 am

It seemed like something that might end up being useful to more than one addon, so I thought I'd throw it here first to see if there were reason to add other per-guild items. (I didn't think to check if there was a generic "all addons" section. If so, feel free to move this there.)
Last edited by ScratchMonkey on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScratchMonkey
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Per-guild URL

Postby PleegWat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:39 pm

A specific guild is indicated in the 'a=' attribute. Siggen saved images are used directly, having those in per-guild directories is a guild question.

a= attributes for guilds can take these forms:

a=g:1 (guild-id)
a=g:The Immortals (guildname)
a=g:The Immortals@US-Myserver (guildname@server)
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Per-guild URL

Postby ScratchMonkey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:42 am

I'm looking at the DB schema and it looks like the configured URL is stored in the roster_config table as a roster-wide value for the config setting "website_address". It might be desirable to have another column in the roster_guild table that holds a guild-specific value. Or perhaps a roster_guild_config that works like roster_config with name/value pairs but includes a guild-id key.

Or does it make more sense for each addon to have its own guild table with addon-specific per-guild settings?
ScratchMonkey
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Per-guild URL

Postby Anaxent » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 am

I think what he is saying is that he wants to use roster for more than one site/domain per guild. I can see how this would be used, but I do not see how this would be possible as each domain would have to house the data for the domain to resolve. As the domain name is not able to resolve to more then one location with out adding A records or cnames per domain that point to the same roster then allow roster to use the current uri for all links being generated allowing roster to work with any domain(like how dragonfly does it) pointed to the roster files. Doing things that way would allow anyone to point there domain to your roster and it would work, unless in the guild allowed list also had another field that said that only a particlular domain is allowed to resolve to this guild and if not the right domain redirect to the default domain listed in guild config.
Anaxent
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Per-guild URL

Postby ScratchMonkey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:10 am

True, you could acquire the URL from the web server's passed variables, but that assumes that roster is hosted on the same server that hosts the guild's primary web page, so that multiple host names resolve to the same roster server.

In my case, this would work, but I can imagine other hosting setups where multiple hosts are used to serve a guild's resources, with one host serving roster for multiple guilds.

Another possible use for per-guild settings is to provide different access policies for the different guilds hosted. One guild might be very open, while another might only want to reveal a small subset of its data. (I haven't yet looked to see where that's stored.)
ScratchMonkey
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Per-guild URL

Postby PleegWat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Yeah, the website address is global, and points to the homepage for the standard guild. It's not currently possible to not set a default guild, but you can set the homepage to the realm/memberslist/guild page, which is the list of guilds in the realm holding the default guild.

Siggen can currently only display the default homepage. You may be able to hack the code to alter this; zanix may want to respond on that. From what I've seen of siggen 2.0, it should be able to do this native.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Return to General Support & Feedback