A couple of problems with UniUploader 2.6.8

Support and feedback for UniUploader
UniUploader requires microsoft .net runtimes!

Postby Saur » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:06 am

When I started UniUploader today it told me there was a new version (2.6.8) available. So I set about installing it, which made me stumble upon a couple of problems:

1) First of all, the automatic upgrade did not work. All I got was a message from Vista telling me that the application had stopped working. So I downloaded it manually and installed without problem.

2) When I started it, it asked me for the location of wow.exe (which it normally doesn't). Turned out it had forgotten all my settings... :( So I filled in all upload URLs etc, and tested that the upload worked, which it did. Then I restarted UniUploader, and to my dismay all the settings were gone again! After a lot of trial and errors I finally found the problem: I had to enable the new "Use %APPDATA%" option for UniUploader to be able to remember its settings...

3) I cannot check the "auto-detect WoW" checkbox; it does not seem to work...

The system I use is a new Core2Quad running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I have Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1.
Saur
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby MattM » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:43 am

Thank you for the bug report, ill add this to the todo list.

At what part of the update process did the app update fail? Did the updater start?

was UU running with admin privileges?
Last edited by MattM on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Re: A couple of problems with UniUploader 2.6.8

Postby Saur » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:55 pm

MattM wrote:Thank you for the bug report, ill add this to the todo list.

At what part of the update process did the app update fail? Did the updater start?

Pretty much immediately as far as I could tell.

MattM wrote:was UU running with admin privileges?

No, it was not.
Saur
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby rouven » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:52 pm

Same for me. Always getting cannot find wow.exe and I cannot select to automatically detect WoW.exe.

Will provide more errors and some debug output soon.
rouven
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby tuigii » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 pm

rouven wrote:cannot find wow.exe and I cannot select to automatically detect WoW.exe.

Read about this some where.
Uni searches for WoW.exe and the app is named wow.exe (the latest WOLTK update changed it, and messed around with the capitals).
This is a major lol issue : Windows filenames start to be case sensitive.

Anyway, better tell Uni in a next version to compare like this
if ("wow.exe" == tolower(wow-executable-found)) then
Found .....

And now hoping that the program name won't be renamed to WordOfWarcraft.exe in a near future ;-)

Another thing is the storage of addons and addons-variables.

We all know that "in the good old XP time" this was
[WOW-installed-path]\Interface\Addons\...
and
[WOW-installed-path]\WTF\Account\WOW-NAME\SavedVariables\....

For Vista, is it true that these directories are NEVER used ?
Interface\Addons
Logs
Screenshots
Cache
Errors

Only persistent directories are present under a Vista installation :
Data
Updates

C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\WTF\Account\WOW-LIGIN-NAME\SavedVariables

I don't have Vista myself, by last week I saw a situation where the addons were placed yet on another place, still in C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\.....

I know that this "VirtualStore" stuff can be de-activated, but I understand quiet well that this isn't "part of the future".
And you-basic-average Vista users will start to yell, because they will have to go Regedit (at least) to "patch" their OS..... forget about it already.

Vista does not allow that ordinary user applications, with normal user rights, to write to the C:\Programs.... directory. This is part of the MS battle "making the OS less virus sensitive" - and yes, this time I can only say "At last, Redmond gets smart about these issues after 15 years...".
All user data files, even those created by executables - for reading by the executables, are stored "elsewhere".
For "Windows-Xp-look-alike applications" under Vista, installed in C:\Program Files\....., writing to C:\Program Files\..... the output will be mapped to C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\.... directory.
Ok, can I live with that, I even understand why.

Nice side effect : C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\AppData is declared as hidden and system, so, not visible (can be made visible, thought).
Is it true that, even not visible with Explorer, UniUpLoader still finds it - has access to it ?

Is WoW.exe Vista minded, that is, WoW is writing to [WOW-installed-path]\WTF\Account\WOW-NAME\SavedVariables\.... and the lua file are all mapped to C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\.... without WoW knowing it ?

Is UniUpLoader writing the addons to [WOW-installed-path]\Interface\Addons\... and Vista maps them behind his back to C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Programs\Word of Warcarft\Interface\Addons\....
When WoW start, it reads the addons from where :
[WOW-installed-path]\Interface\Addons\... ?
or
C:\Users\VISTA-LOGIN-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Programs\Word of Warcarft\Interface\Addons\.... ?

[I saw posts about users complaining that these emptied out [WOW-installed-path]\Interface\Addons\... and WoW still listed the addons as "present" IG - this explains that VirtualStore is used even for reading]

Is it true that installing WoW into a directory named C:\Games\.... simplifies all these matters ?

Anyway, I think I gona drop by at the Dell Appstore, picking one of these XPS's that runs WoW on a comfortable way - with Vista Pro (never liked the "Home" brew from Redmond) - Its time to find out about this Vista thing.

Edit : Rouven, sorry for hijacking your question :?
Last edited by tuigii on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby PleegWat » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Interesting. I didn't run into any issues, and I'm on linux (which is case-sensitive). I'm pretty sure specifying the executable with the wrong casing doesn't work. I'll check tonight at home though.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby Krysthan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 am

The only problem I'm having with 2.6.8 is that the sv options revert to only the Blizzard Combat log every time I boot up my PC.

I have to go in manually everytime before I start wow or the upload runs to reset the options so it will upload the correct info to the RPGoutfitter website using the characterprofiler sv.

I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit if that helps any.

Cheers
Krysthan
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to UniUploader