Is there a manual?

Support and feedback for UniAdmin

Is there a manual?

Postby cryptoknight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:24 am

I'm trying for the life of me to understand why/what purpose creating users in uniadmin is good for....

I'm sure there's a reason... but what do users really do? Do I have to make one for every guild member on my server?
cryptoknight
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: Is there a manual?

Postby tuigii » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 am

cryptoknight wrote:I'm trying for the life of me to understand why/what purpose creating users in uniadmin is good for....

I'm sure there's a reason... but what do users really do? Do I have to make one for every guild member on my server?

No way.

You can give user / passwords to your Off members that are capable of UPLOADING an addons into UniAdmin.

Your Guild members (or who ever) do not need a password.

It's just for the settings.

Important : with UniAdmin you can control the beahaviour of the UniUpLoader 'client' that runs in the PC of your Guild members.

So quiet normal that the access is protected.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Is there a manual?

Postby zanix » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:20 pm

Yep

Our wiki is kinda like a manual, it's not as complete as I'd like it to be
http://www.wowroster.net/MediaWiki/UniAdmin
Last edited by zanix on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby cryptoknight » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:12 am

The problem here is that nothing in the wiki explains what users are for.

Because of that I had to ask the question.
cryptoknight
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Is there a manual?

Postby tuigii » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Well, you’re not wrong - from a user-side point of view.

But if your posting a message here - or even reading them - your NOT an ordinary [WOW] 'consumer' or 'user' but someone who employees internet servers to make live easier for your Guild members.

These guys who install and maintain a CMS for their Guild and adding an Armory-like roster for their Guild, WowRoster, will always find the tool is named UniUpLoader, with works with UniAdmin.
So, UniAdmin will (normally) not be the first server side solution that they install.
UniAdmin is nothing more then a server that proposes Addons for WoW for downloading on a centralized place for Guild members.
Of course, many won't even see this back end tool; they will battle with UniUpLoader, never even asking where it takes the addons from (very strange, when you think about it).

Actually, you remark is partially answered when you see the name of the project: uniadmin.
These guys (admins) have the habit of installing and maintaining server side projects - and THEY always need to identify themselves to maintain the thing.
In this case, they update addons, and set parameters that UniUpLoader somewhat inherits.

The fun part of your question: your looking for WoW players that, well, play the game (a little bit more then 11 000 000 right now), write tools for it (maybe 10 000 ?) and write documents about (10 ?).
The bad news: these 10 people are overbooked ^^

PS : feel free to ask questions ;-)
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby cryptoknight » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:56 pm

Perhaps...

But with no explanation of what the users are. It's also conceivable that you need a user account in some way shape or form in order to access Uniadmin from Uni Uploader. i.e. an authentication system to make sure that the various configuration settings for Uni Uploader are kept secret from non-guild members.

Since Uniadmin configures the uniuploader client to report data to the wowroster app, it's quite possible that every single person who points their Uniuploader to the Uniadmin to be configured might not be in the guild that wowroster was put up to host information for. Armed with the configuration that should allow them to upload data to the wowroster, they could fashion fake data to submit to the roster, and let uniadmin configure their uploader to get it into the roster.
cryptoknight
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby tuigii » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:12 pm

cryptoknight wrote:But with no explanation of what the users are. It's also conceivable that you need a user account in some way shape or form in order to access Uniadmin from Uni Uploader. i.e. an authentication system to make sure that the various configuration settings for Uni Uploader are kept secret from non-guild members.

True, but who wants UniAdmin to distribute passwords and stuff like that ?

I'm using a password in my UniUpLoader for the Off-type upload - My UniAdmin isn't distributing that - UniAdmin contains Guilde wide global settings.

cryptoknight wrote:Since Uniadmin configures the uniuploader client to report data to the wowroster app, it's quite possible that every single person who points their Uniuploader to the Uniadmin to be configured might not be in the guild that wowroster was put up to host information for. Armed with the configuration that should allow them to upload data to the wowroster, they could fashion fake data to submit to the roster, and let uniadmin configure their uploader to get it into the roster.

True, I think it's possible that renaming my persos and Guild in my CP.lua with, for example, yours ;) and me uploading MY CP.Lua into YOUR roster will making your persos being a copy of mine for every name match ( :o - should one consider activating passwords even for Guild member updates ??).

Btw, this is not an UniAdmin 'problem', but a WoWRoster 'issue' ^^

Anyway, one reason more to update your persos regularly.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Return to UniAdmin