Updating issues

CharacterProfiler.lua file uploading issues

Updating issues

Postby Spennig » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:58 am

I've run into a bug that -had- been affecting only one of my guild members, that I knew of, though most have UniUploader and are less than technical, so they might just be clueless.

It has started to hit me, too, though, so I thought I'd post and ask for advice.

If I wipe the CharacterProfiler.lua file completely, and restart, mots of the time it fixes, but not always, and not for the guildie who saw the issue first.

Code: Select all
Parsing files

* Error while parsing CharacterProfiler after 0 seconds
    * [] does not exist or is not readable by PHP

Is what I'm getting in the Update Log box, as is said guildie. Doesn't parse anyone, just chokes and dies.

Any thoughts about what might be causing this? I know that my guildmember has reported that it seems to trigger out of their warlock's update (as when they re-save all the other characters, it seems ok). They also have reported that uploading to RPGO's site has no issues, and I'm having no issues there, either.

We're using the most recent Character and GuildProfiler downloads (the guild member is also an officer in another small guild) and Roster is up to 2.0.2. We -are- running SMF-Sync mod to coordinate the ranks on our forums, but that was functional before this without errors.

For reference, from the Roster Diagnostics:
Config values
version 2.0.2
db_version 6
db_prefix roster_
debug_mode Off
roster_lang enUS
img_url img/
interface_url img/
img_suffix jpg
use_update_triggers On
rs_mode On

PHP Settings
PHP Version 5.2.8
PHP API Type cgi-fcgi
safe_mode Off
open_basedir Off
allow_url_fopen On
file_uploads On
upload_max_filesize 2M

Server Settings
OS Linux
Server Software Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
MySQL Version 5.0.67-community-log

All of the File versions read as having no issues.

Thanks for any help I can get!
Attachments
characterprofiler.lua
my CharacterProfiler.lua file that failed most recently.
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 358 times
Last edited by Spennig on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spennig
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Updating issues

Postby PleegWat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 am

Your max_upload_size is 2 megabytes. The file you attached is 2.14. This is almost certainly the reason your upload isn't working. This also explains why deleting the file usually solves it - the new file only contains one or two characters, so it will be smaller.

People using UU to upload won't suffer that problem as quickly, since UU will compress the file before uploading, so the file actually being uploaded is only about 10% of the size of the uncompressed file.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: Updating issues

Postby Spennig » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 am

PleegWat wrote:Your max_upload_size is 2 megabytes. The file you attached is 2.14. This is almost certainly the reason your upload isn't working. This also explains why deleting the file usually solves it - the new file only contains one or two characters, so it will be smaller.

People using UU to upload won't suffer that problem as quickly, since UU will compress the file before uploading, so the file actually being uploaded is only about 10% of the size of the uncompressed file.

Is there any way I can change the max upload through roster, or is that on the database side?
Spennig
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Dampframme » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:08 am

It´s a php setting on your server . You need to contact your ISP .
Dampframme
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Updating issues

Postby zanix » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:40 am

Make sure you enable gzip in UniUploader
This will help
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby secure » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:48 am

If you're lucky it's allowed to be changed through .htaccess.
Just add the following code in the .htaccess file where your script is located:
Code: Select all
php_value upload_max_filesize 10M

With a default installation it usually doesn't work, but you never know.
But as zanix says, enable gzip :)
secure
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Updating issues

Postby Spennig » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks :) I had a friend trying to help me with the .htaccess options to see if they'll work, will be testing later, was in Utgarde last night while he was trying to show me >_<
Spennig
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Spennig » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Incredibly belated, but the gzip worked. Thank you!
Spennig
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby tuigii » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:06 am

Issue : [] does not exist or is not readable by PHP

Using GZIP when uploading with UniUpLoader reduces the file size and thus the file transfer time.
You can see so in the debug tab when it's sending the lua file(s).

Keep in mind that UniUpLoader isn't used by everybody (for reasons beyond any logic :? )
So, those who are uploading using the URL - manual procedure : http://www.your-roster.tld/roster/index ... date&a=g:1 will be hit by your server limit.

The issue will always arrive first for those who have GuildProfiler installed. Those players, normally officers, will have a CharacterProfiler.lua file that contains their 1 - 10 chars AND the entire Vault details - even more : the Guild activity log.
I've seen CharacterProfiler.lua files that grown to a wopping 2,4 Mb.

Be careful : you might hit the next barrier : the memory that your server is allowed to use - for a shared (web)server this is also always a limited resource.
The CharacterProfiler.lua, when received in memory, will explode by a factor 3 or 4 - so 10 Mb is possible.
The 10 Mb and the pages loaded to parse your upload will approach your authorized memory limit.

The nasty thing is that this error won't be shown properly - the page will blanc out, our you will receive an Internal Server error at best.

When one uses UniUpLoader, a solution might be found : upload one character every time.
UniUpLoader could even be made aware which characters are accepted by a specific WoWRoster, their is no need to send a char X from Guild Y on Realm Z, if the roster is for Guild P on Realm O.
But, of course, I'm looking far ahead in the future now 8)
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby Spennig » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:32 pm

::grins:: I'm lucky in that I got a nice deal where I have "unlimited" transfer and space... just a limited number of simultanous connections to the databases. ::shrugs:: I can work with that.

And -most- of the people not willing to use UU, are mac users (I'm still working on getting the java version up for them) and overly paranoid people who don't trust anything they don't do manually.
Spennig
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Return to Uploading