Uniuploader won't update succesfully

Support and feedback for UniUploader
UniUploader requires microsoft .net runtimes!

Uniuploader won't update succesfully

Postby Robsato » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I got the notification that there was a new version from Uniuploader available. I clicked Yes to start the updater, but it never starts downloading. I only see a window with a log that shows:

[2009-10-22 17:32:49] Updater v1.4.6.3 started
[2009-10-22 17:32:49] Waiting for UniUploader to close before initiating download.
[2009-10-22 17:32:50] UniUploader window not found.
[2009-10-22 17:32:50] UniUploader.exe is still Locked.
[2009-10-22 17:32:51] UniUploader window not found.
[2009-10-22 17:32:51] UniUploader.exe is still Locked.
[2009-10-22 17:32:52] UniUploader window not found.
[2009-10-22 17:32:52] UniUploader.exe is still Locked.
[2009-10-22 17:32:53] UniUploader window not found.
<last 2 lines go on forever>

I see no UniUploader process running in the taskmanager.

System:
Windows Vista x64
UniUploader 2.6.9.1

Anyone else seeing this or know how to fix it?
Robsato
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Re: Uniuploader won't update succesfully

Postby Calystos » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Hmm, think this is about the 2nd or 3rd report of the update system not working right for the older revisions of the UU system. And not entirely sure why. I'll look into the code asap but atm am working on a rather epic new revision of UU and UA so for now I suggest you just get the new installer and install over the top (don't worry your settings will remain, it'll just dump the new binaries instead).

UniUploader v2.6.9.4 Installer: download/file.php?id=1796

It could be to do with you running a 64 bit OS, or just Vista being a daft sod. (Both in ref to Administrator requirements, etc) Not entirely sure atm.
Will run some tests after I'm finished with v2.7.0.0 UU which should be sometime hopefully tonight/tomorrow.
Calystos
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby Robsato » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for looking into it. It is not really a biggie since I can indeed install manually. I just wanted to let you know about the issue.

It seems to be some kind of permssions issue. I started UU as Administrator and then it downloaded and installed the update correctly (although it could not close the running UU before starting the upgrade, but I am not sure if it is supposed to do that).
Robsato
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Calystos » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah, from what I recall UU has always had issues with Vista users. And being needed to be ran in Administrator mode, etc. I've added a note to my todo list to see if theres any tweaks/etc I can come up with to bypass this issue though. So hopefully sometime in the near future it may be properly addressed and fixed.

EDIT: Okay, having had a quick look at the update.exe code I can see a few possible causes of the problem. 1 is that ye olde "Win32.FindWindow" is used, and shouldn't anymore so I'll switch this to the "Process[] processes=Process.GetProcessesByName("UniUploader");" code instead. Which should help in ref to this issue, though chances are there is more to it than just a simple detection feature, but its a good start since it'll get rid of the 32 bit code.

EDIT: Additionally, I've located how to make an application check if its running in Administrator mode or not and if not to bring up a popup window to tell you to relaunch in Administrator mode (which it will let you do via just pressing the button it shows, or to not via the cancel button it'll show). Should have this all ready to go sometime soon.
Calystos
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Return to UniUploader