[FIXED] RoA's Impressions of jUU

Support and feedback for NetherPanel
AKA java UniUploader

[FIXED] RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby ds » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:07 am

So it has been a couple days now. I've had a couple of my officers report the following so far:

Common issue #1:
It seems settings do not get saved locally when webstart is used. Is this a bug or my configuration problem. I have my officers click the following to start jUU. http://wow.roa-guild.org/ua/juu.jnlp
The reason they need it to save is for the post variable info and a couple want to use the ACE SVN feature.

Common issue #2:
Two officers that are trying to use the ACE feature report failed updates and 99% CPU usage for what appears forever (they had to kill the process). I do not think ACE has worked successfully for anyone yet.
**EDIT** I tried to use ACE SVN features as well and am having the same issue.

Common Request:
Tooltips explaining what the main buttons do.

Remove or make an option to not have Guild Profiler in the addon lists by default. Guild Profiler addon is only used by officers and we don't want to have our regular users installing and running it.

A button on the main screen of jUU that automates all the things we want jUU to do: ie;
Check for addon updates
Install all addon updates
Update guild roster info
report back success / failure

One person suggests a nightly check for addons and auto update because he just wants to run it in the system tray and forget about it and have it do all the magic by itself.

I'll keep this thread updated with any more requests/info.
Last edited by ds on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Re: RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby ds » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:05 am

I enabled the System Tray feature of jUU and it does not appear to be working correctly. Once it is minimized to the system try I cannot get the app to maximize. Also, Right clicking and selecting 'exit' has no effect.

Using Windows XP SP2 w/ all current upgrades.
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby ds » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 am

gzip Compression setting in UniAdmin v0.7.8 is not getting passed to jUU on settings sync.
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby lhunath » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks; keep flooding this thread with any issues I need to look into. I'll do my best ;)
"OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?"
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

= NetherPanel: home - launch - tickets =
lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby lhunath » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 pm

The issue with Ace addons is caused by Out of Memory errors. jUU needs to open and read a lot of ZIP files for this. I will look into finding a way of optimizing the process.

You can work around this problem by updating the JNLP file you're using to what I currently use. Fetch the latest from here: jUniUploader.jnlp.
"OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?"
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby lhunath » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 pm

ds001 wrote:gzip Compression setting in UniAdmin v0.7.8 is not getting passed to jUU on settings sync.

These settings will only get passed the first time jUU is started, or after you delete your config file. That's because jUU assumes that as soon as you have a config file, the settings in it are what the user choose them to be. As a result, UniAdmin settings cannot override existing settings.
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby ds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am

lhunath wrote:
ds001 wrote:gzip Compression setting in UniAdmin v0.7.8 is not getting passed to jUU on settings sync.

These settings will only get passed the first time jUU is started, or after you delete your config file. That's because jUU assumes that as soon as you have a config file, the settings in it are what the user choose them to be. As a result, UniAdmin settings cannot override existing settings.

I don't think a local configuration file is getting created and/or saved. Once I close jUU and restart it (via the webstart link) all my settings get reset back to default. Where would I find this configuration file? Or what is the name of it so I can search my machine for it.

Also, jUU should allow any 'required' settings to be overwritten when the admin tags it as so in UniAdmin. This feature is highly requested as it stops a ton of "User Error". It would be nice to just have a guild member reSync vital settings and get the app working again. I *know* my users will start messing with settings and wonder why it doesn't work. I have so many less then savvy users on my site it makes ya wanna cry! :)
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby lhunath » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:55 am

ds001 wrote:I enabled the System Tray feature of jUU and it does not appear to be working correctly. Once it is minimized to the system try I cannot get the app to maximize. Also, Right clicking and selecting 'exit' has no effect.

Using Windows XP SP2 w/ all current upgrades.

Fixed in 0.9.14
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby lhunath » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:59 am

Where would I find this configuration file? Or what is the name of it so I can search my machine for it.

The configuration file is named '.jUUrc' and it is saved in your user's home directory. In windows, this is "C:\Documents And Settings\[Username]\"

Also, jUU should allow any 'required' settings to be overwritten when the admin tags it as so in UniAdmin.

I was unaware of a "required" tag in UniAdmin. However, note that since jUU syncs every time it starts up, this feature will effectively disable user interference with certain settings.

Let me have a look at that required thing..
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby lhunath » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04 am

You mean the big buttons in the launcher panel (first panel)?

Or would you like to see tooltips on pretty much all buttons in jUU?

Remove or make an option to not have Guild Profiler in the addon lists by default. Guild Profiler addon is only used by officers and we don't want to have our regular users installing and running it.

I can't really show/hide addons from the addon listing from user to user. That is something that'll be the same for all users in your guild, as you probably know. As a result, I find having GuildProfiler in the list as a non-essential addon to be a good compromise. That way, the people that want it and have the necessary password to upload its data can install it, any others can do what they wish (though installing it would be a little useless without the password to upload its data).

If I remove GuildProfiler from the list, then how will your officers keep it up to date? I suppose I could add a little checkbox in the options window "Hide GuildProfiler" which is on by default, but I really don't see the use of such a feature.. :O Enlighten me if you do.
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby ds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 am

lhunath wrote:

You mean the big buttons in the launcher panel (first panel)?

Or would you like to see tooltips on pretty much all buttons in jUU?

I think it would be a good to have tooltips for all the buttons. It seems to be confusing a lot of my officers.

I can't really show/hide addons from the addon listing from user to user. That is something that'll be the same for all users in your guild, as you probably know. As a result, I find having GuildProfiler in the list as a non-essential addon to be a good compromise. That way, the people that want it and have the necessary password to upload its data can install it, any others can do what they wish (though installing it would be a little useless without the password to upload its data).

If I remove GuildProfiler from the list, then how will your officers keep it up to date? I suppose I could add a little checkbox in the options window "Hide GuildProfiler" which is on by default, but I really don't see the use of such a feature.. :O Enlighten me if you do.

After thinking about it-- this might be a moot point now. The logic behind not wanting our regular guild members running guild profiler is primarily for CP.lua file size and upload delays. However sense jUU splits up CP.lua this is not really important. But on the flip side of that; officers have no problems manually installing the GP addon when it does require updates.
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby ds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:35 am

lhunath wrote:
Where would I find this configuration file? Or what is the name of it so I can search my machine for it.

The configuration file is named '.jUUrc' and it is saved in your user's home directory. In windows, this is "C:\Documents And Settings\[Username]"

I closed jUU then removed this configuration file. I restarted jUU and the gzip setting did not get sync'd. Also, the custom 'POST VARIABLE' info does not get saved as well.

Also, jUU should allow any 'required' settings to be overwritten when the admin tags it as so in UniAdmin.

I was unaware of a "required" tag in UniAdmin. However, note that since jUU syncs every time it starts up, this feature will effectively disable user interference with certain settings.

Let me have a look at that required thing..

I made a mistake--UniAdmin calls it 'Enabled' rather then 'Required'. However the intent of the 'Enabled' configuration variables is to force the setting on jUU/phpUU/UU
UniAdmin Help wrote:You can make sure your user's critical UU settings are up to date with this, be VERY careful with some of them, as some of them might get your users angry at you, and if you set something wrong you could loose contact with all of your users, LOL
If the setting is a 1 or zero that means it is a check mark in UU that should be: checked (1) or not checked (0).

The saved variables list is the actual list of files that you want UU to upload to the URL(s).
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby lhunath » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:14 am

But on the flip side of that; officers have no problems manually installing the GP addon when it does require updates.

Others might :) I will leave it as is for now, unless you or anyone else has further objections.

I restarted jUU and the gzip setting did not get sync'd

Looking into it.

Also, the custom 'POST VARIABLE' info does not get saved as well.

Do me a favor. Close down any other java applications you might have running (azureus, ...). Then, open jUU, fiddle around, and exit it again.
Now, open your task manager and tell me whether there's any more mention of a 'java' process in the process list. I have the feeling java isn't shutting down properly on Windows. This happens with me in Windows through VMWare, but not on my linux. If jUU can't shut down properly, it doesn't get the chance to save its configuration changes to file. As a result, it seems none of your changes are saved next time you start jUU.
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby ds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:25 am

Do me a favor. Close down any other java applications you might have running (azureus, ...). Then, open jUU, fiddle around, and exit it again.
Now, open your task manager and tell me whether there's any more mention of a 'java' process in the process list. I have the feeling java isn't shutting down properly on Windows. This happens with me in Windows through VMWare, but not on my linux. If jUU can't shut down properly, it doesn't get the chance to save its configuration changes to file. As a result, it seems none of your changes are saved next time you start jUU.

Confirmed. I rebooted my machine. Made sure no java apps were running (no javaw.exe processes) started up jUU. Checked every option pretty much. clicked around a bit, closed jUU. Opened up the process list and a lingering javaw.exe process is present. I kill the process and still doesn't save (but that makes sense if I killed the process, I would imagine no clean up is called... I wish I could send term signals in windows!)
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

RoA's Impressions of jUU

Postby lhunath » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:22 am

Hehe. I will have to figure out why jUU doesn't shut down properly in Windows. Am working hard on a scheduling interface atm. Will report back later.
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Next

Return to NetherPanel