Bad IP

Make suggestions, report bugs, or anything else about the website
DO NOT post bugs/feature requests for WoWRoster, PvPLog, UniUploader, or UniAdmin here

Bad IP

Postby knappster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:28 pm

I tried connecting to the site this morning and I got a message:
Bad IP
You are banned from this site due to a bad ip.

I have connected from the same IP many times before. Nothing should have changed. I am able to connect currently through a php proxy. Did something change with the recent upgrade?
knappster
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Bad IP

Postby MattM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:24 am

The site was upgraded.

I don't know what was changed, you should ask someone in IRC.

I do know that there's a new "flood protection" thing in place, but I doubt that's why it's doing that to you.
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Bad IP

Postby PleegWat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 pm

DF's flood protection may have been turned on. The most likely reason you set it off is because of a firefox 'tuneup' that highly increases the number of threads it uses to download stuff to increase clientside performance at a cost of serverside performance.

The ban should auto-expire, or PM me your IP and I'll remove you from the list. However, if you don't fix the underlying problem you'll just get flood banned again.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: Bad IP

Postby knappster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:05 pm

I am still connecting through the proxy, but I just disabled network.prefetch-new and I will try periodically to see if it works when the ban is lifted. Not sure if that's the setting, but I will let you know.
knappster
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Bad IP

Postby poetter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Do you use FasterFox?
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby knappster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Nope, Firefox 2.0.0.11.
knappster
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Bad IP

Postby poetter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:28 pm

kk, fasterfox i a prefetch addon for FF that could cause this issue. If you find a setting in FF that is causing it, let me know.
poetter
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby Wyren » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 pm

PleegWat wrote:DF's flood protection may have been turned on. The most likely reason you set it off is because of a firefox 'tuneup' that highly increases the number of threads it uses to download stuff to increase clientside performance at a cost of serverside performance.

The ban should auto-expire, or PM me your IP and I'll remove you from the list. However, if you don't fix the underlying problem you'll just get flood banned again.
I use firefox both from work and from home, but my home ip has been banned twice now, and I can't see why. I got home from work yesterday, it worked. tried again an hour later, it was banned.
Wyren
WR.net Journeyman
WR.net Journeyman

Postby knappster » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 pm

Yeah, I'm still banned, even after disabling that prefetch option.... and I'm the same way as Wyren. I used Firefox in Windows XP at work and Firefox on Debian Etch at home. It works at home but not at work.
knappster
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Bad IP

Postby corfen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:53 pm

I have this problem too :( Windows Vista - Firefox 2.0.0.11. (with only 1 addon: ADBlock...)
I am here with proxy :/
corfen
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby knappster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm

First thing this morning I tried to visit with IE instead of firefox and I got the same message. It doesn't appear to be an issue with firefox. I guess I'll just keep using the proxy.
knappster
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Bad IP

Postby MattM » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:04 am

I just checked the banlist and the only 3 in there are

71.106.29.63 forever details
83.86.63.81 forever details

which are the ones I just put in there
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Bad IP

Postby knappster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:39 am

I'm posting right now from IE with no trouble. I'll try IE a few days to see if it bans me again. If not I'll go back to firefox and see what happens.
knappster
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Calystos » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Soz to bring up an old topic but yeah I've just started having this issue in FF too. I just added a couple of plugin addons for it and soon as I opened FF after installation and came to the forum it said instantly "Flood Protection - You are not allowed to flood our system. You may view our website again after 4 seconds" so I waited 5 seconds just to be safe and got this "Flood Protection - You are not allowed to flood our system. You may view our website again after 6 seconds - This is your last warning, next time you will be banned!" so I waited 10 seconds this time. And was able to get on no problem.

Looks like FF's plugins have some major issues with preloading or something.

Not sure which it is but these are what I recently installed (for extra security and features): Interclue (probably this to blame), WOT (could be this, but more likely Interclue since if memory serves this is one of those types of addons that let you view links in a quick popup before clicking on them).

*EDIT* Was just thinking, if a person has a browser window open that has say 4 tabs linked to a few forum threads on wowroster.net and the browser were to crash. And they had the browser set to restore tabs, that'd also set off the flood protection block system too. Infact, yes it does, as last week this exact thing happened to me when I was trying to debug a problem with wowroster (the roster database and webpage not this wowroster.net site) and my browser crashed and when I came back in (I only had 3 pages open at the time, and zero addons) and soon as I loaded up (this was IE not FF btw) I was instantly banned for an hour. (The other 2 tabs were warning and last warning). lol Fun times, heh.
Last edited by Calystos on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calystos
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Bad IP

Postby tuigii » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:51 pm

It's clear that the ban process is needed on this site.
Many times, more then ten site members, as many web crawlers and bots, and a couple of hundred of visitors are on www.wowroster.net at the same time.

Even a nice dedicated $$ web server would somewhat "feel the load". I have to say that this site becomes somewhat slow, but this forces me to read more :)

"Quality always comes in slowly..."
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Next

Return to Web Site Issues