Desperate for help (failed to connect to database)

Installation issues with WoWRoster

Postby eyeofthecrystal » Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 am

Hello! My name is Amber and im "eyeofthecrystal" who recently added to the site.

I am having some major trouble with this wowroster addon.
So far... I have read all the forums and I guess I just dont understand some of them.

I have:
1.Made a website through yahoo pro.. and I have my own domain. (www.eyeofthecrystal.net)
2. Created a MySQL subdomain and installed it from yahoo page. ( So far, i have changed the priveledges so my eyeofthecrystal has full access to tables)
3. MySQL says i have like 7 Databases... all with names like ( MySqyl, phpmyadmin, phpmyadmin_1)
3. I clicked on MySQL. Looked at the page, had no idea what to do. So i logged out.
4. Extracted the "roster" files from your site, Used FileZilla to fast upload the "roster" folder from wowroster.net and placed those files in the "roster folder" in the file manager of my eyeofthecrystal doman.
5. I click on "install.php" and am taken to the install page of wowroster where it says my settings are ok. Ive included a picture of this, and also the error im getting afterward.

-------
6. One of the forums said to check my conf.php file.. and I did, there is nothing in there. And I couldn't find anything to automatically generate one.
----
So here I am.. racking my brain trying to figure out how to sync mysql with the install for wowroster and I have no clue what to do. One of the forums said to find out the actual server host, but it says on my Mysql that is eyeofthecrystal@localhost and the database name is mysql so...
Im gonna need detailed instructions from the point where I made a Mysql on my file manager.
Here is a picture of what mysql looks like after I log in with my database username and password.

So.. would u pls help me? So far all the forums arent clear as to what to do....

Thank you so much..

Amber (eyeofthecrystal)
Attachments
eyeofthecrystal
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Tue May 27, 2008 6:14 am

Here is a step by step install guide
http://www.wowroster.net/MediaWiki/Roster:Install
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Re: Desperate for help (failed to connect to database)

Postby eyeofthecrystal » Tue May 27, 2008 6:39 am

I have read the install instructions many many many times.. over and over. I need to know what I am doing wrong from my post.
I have done everything I think from what I have posted.
Please read it and reply to my pictures I have posted.

Amber
eyeofthecrystal
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zanix » Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 am

In PhPMyAdmin, go to "Privileges" to make a new user, "roster" for example
Enter a password for this user
Check "Create database with same name and grant all privileges"
Then click [Go]

On the install for Roster, enter roster for the database name, user and enter the password you created
Last edited by zanix on Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby eyeofthecrystal » Tue May 27, 2008 8:38 am

Ok i will try that.. thank you. And i will post the results.
eyeofthecrystal
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby eyeofthecrystal » Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 am

I did exactly what you said. There was no option to create database with the same name. I clicked GO anyway. And there was the username.
Tried to install again, got the same failure error. So i went back and created a "roster" database with the create database button. There was no tables in the database but the user still had priveledges to access it. I tried again with this database created. Still the same failure error.

Its not even connecting to the site at all.
Is it the conf.php file? or what the heck do i do?
Attachments
eyeofthecrystal
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Ulminia » Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 am

try eyeofthecrystal.net insted of localhost
Ulminia of Zangarmarsh
Zonous of Zangarmarsh
Author of Roster Gallery
WoWRoster-Profiler Redesigner
Ulminia
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Realm: Zangarmarsh (PvE) - US
gmail/gtalk: ulminia@gmail.com

Postby eyeofthecrystal » Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 am

I tried that too. This is what I think is going on. I dont think the wowroster is syncing with my sql server. Its not even connecting.
Is there a setting in the phpmyadmin database that i need to change? like the queries? or adding an entire NEW database with NO tables?
To be honest.. Ive reread the dang instructions and nowhere in the instructions does it say HOW to create a database sql. All I know is i have one, and there are like 8 sub databases like mysql and phpmyadmin, phpmyadmin_1

There has to be something I need to change in the databases itself, to colaberate with the wowroster site(install)

Entering names and database names in the wowroster install wont work unless its connecting to my server. And its not.

HELP!
Attachments
eyeofthecrystal
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby tuigii » Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 pm

First of all, do understand that your webserver has to be able to connect to your SQL server.

What "could' be used is the very known localhost (=127.0.0.1) is the SQL server is in the same PC as your webserver.
It could be a local LAN adres, like 192.168.1.10, if you host your server on another PC in your 'server's' place.
It could be someting like (my case) mysql5-29, because the place where I my server is hosted use these local adresses. [SQL servers shouldn't be made accesible to the Internet - never]

Understand that it rather important that your webserver will be able (and should be able) to contact your SQL server.

If you use the classic "web host solution" then instructions from hoster indicate you how to adress your SQL server. ONLY they can tell you.

Note that when you use phpmyadmin, normally, you indicated the username, a password and a Server Choice. This should already indicate you what to use to reach the server. Note that phpmyadmin in nothing more a sa bunch of php statements (as is the roster) that talks to the SQL server to shows its internals.

A SQL server uses some internal tables for its house keeeping, like the user that can acces which tables.

So, as mentionned, you should have a database
Often, a hoster just gives you one, or some more, databases. I, for an exemple can't create any more databases - I don't have the right to do so.
That's where the "prefix" come in - so name-clashes will not arrive between the names of i.e. your CMS and the rosters tables.
In my case, all my CMS tabesl start with e107_ and all my roster tables user a prefix like roster_

One important thing to know is that there need to be a user on your SQL server that can : read / write / create / delete tables.
Otherwise, even ythe installer couldn't do its job. Normally, a user with "GRANT ALL"' rights will do the job.

So, I repeat :
You should know the URL of your SQL server.
There should be already a database on it with a known name (like monkey or, more logic, roster).
Or : you can create one "by hand" with the help of phpmyadmin...
[Note : the newest installer of WoWRoster are capable of even creating a database for you - nice to automate things, but creating database is a super SQL admin - one shouldn't use these credentials when installing even WoWRosyter. All this IHMO)

You should know a user name and password, that will be used for accessing the futur roster database.
To check them : use them in phpmyadmin, you should be able to access the roster database (only).

Btw:
a) Please note that your question isn't wowroster related.
b) Detail as mutch as possible.

Can you tell me if you use a home solution, a hoster ?
If it's the latter : why not using there support ?
Mine has a huge forum/WIKI/newsgrpoup/ICQ section for user to user help.

Anyway, welcome in SQL land :wink: - you'll get the picture :)
Last edited by tuigii on Tue May 27, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby Ulminia » Tue May 27, 2008 8:27 pm

ok im gona try and make this simple for you...

1 Login to phpmyadmin
2 Create a new table roster or what ever you wana call it
3 Go back to the Roster webpage run the setup agian
4 Use the username and password you used to login to phpmyadmin with as database user and pass and database name as the one you cretaed in step 2

if this does not work like tuigii said contact your hosting company and see what they have to say if you have one and if you do there info should have been emailed to you when you signed up.
Ulminia of Zangarmarsh
Zonous of Zangarmarsh
Author of Roster Gallery
WoWRoster-Profiler Redesigner
Ulminia
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Realm: Zangarmarsh (PvE) - US
gmail/gtalk: ulminia@gmail.com

Postby eyeofthecrystal » Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for your replies. So far i haevnt had the chance to contact yahoo for my hosting address. I use yahoo pro, with the option of (MYSQL)

When i log into phpmyadmin there are databases given like phpmyadmin_1 on up. But you say to create one.. When i create a new database called roster, there are no tables. So im thinking i need to create some? When i try to install wowroster with just the roster the way it is, it still doesnt connect.
I use the server on the same pc as my yahoo profile so...
Im going to contact my yahoo admin and ask..

Tuigii's post was a little bit confusing hence im a new php user. Cms tables confuse me, i dont know what they are.

What i wanted to do was just log in to phpmyadmin, create a user with all grants, select the table and install wowroster.. But the problem is, its not connecting.
Using localhost doesnt work so...
I will contact yahoo and update my results.

Amberena
eyeofthecrystal
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby tuigii » Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 pm

eyeofthecrystal wrote:
When i log into phpmyadmin there are databases given like phpmyadmin_1 on up. But you say to create one..[/quote]
Yep, one database for your roster.

eyeofthecrystal wrote:When i create a new database called roster, there are no tables.

Like an Excel spreadsheet page, when you open a new sheet, you'll find nothing.
The WoWRoster installer will take care of that.
If it can connect to your SQL server.... that is.

eyeofthecrystal wrote:So im thinking i need to create some?

Certainly not :?
The installer will do that for you.

eyeofthecrystal wrote:When i try to install wowroster with just the roster the way it is, it still doesnt connect.
Now you know how to find your info : go Yahoo ! They have the forums and help support, I guess.
Normally, you should have received a letter or a mail with the info.
Yahoo doesn't seem to me a small player in 'the server business world'.

eyeofthecrystal wrote:Cms tables confuse me, i dont know what they are.
I'll reply because you made me laugh (sorry for that) : but let me explain : take a good search engine (hint: google.com :wink:) and just type the word CMS.
You'll find on the first line in any language (I tried 5) the answer: Content Management System - like this site, like YOUR future Roster – like nearly any forum.

If I can find some time, I'll point you to the right directory (something like the Yahoo webadmin 'Pro' help site').
tuigii
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Return to Installation