Blizzard's Repsonse to Rosters

General chat forum
DO NOT post bugs/feature requests for WoWRoster, PvPLog, UniUploader, or UniAdmin here

Postby ScratchMonkey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:43 am

Armory doesn't work in Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1. I'm not sure who's at fault. I see the links but not the search results. Works in IE7, but I don't play to switch to IE for anything but Windows Updates.
ScratchMonkey
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Postby zeryl » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:10 am

It doesn't work in IE6 on Linux, or in Firefox 2.0.2 on linux.
zeryl
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Re: Blizzard's Repsonse to Rosters

Postby Psyche » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:01 am

It also doesn't work on FF 2.0.2 on OSX. It works only partially on Safari on OSX.

When they say it is best viewed on FF, they really ought to say it is viewed best on FF in Windows.

Anyway, I am conservatively optimistic about the Blizz Armory. As everyone has seen... it doesn't have nearly enough information in it. It is lacking several of the major things that I use on a regular basis. A listing of keys players have and tradeskill recipes are the two biggest.

Then I think about the potential that it could have. This is Blizzard. They have the data. They just need the time to implement the features. They could do many things that WoWRoster could not just because of that.

In the end, I am hoping that the XML data you can get will make things much easier to deal with than relying on the data from rpgo's addons.
Psyche
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby ScratchMonkey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:03 am

I just looked closely at the XML and found that they're using an ancient JavaScript "Ultimate Browser Sniffer" and then dispatch on a fixed list of browsers, with no handler for a browser that actually follows W3C standards.

Code: Select all
<script src="/shared/global/third-party/detection.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="js/cookies.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="js/armory.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="js/functions.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/shared/global/menu/en_us/menutree.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/shared/global/menu/menu132_com.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="js/en_us/menus.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/shared/global/third-party/sarissa/0.9.7.6/sarissa.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/shared/global/third-party/sarissa/0.9.7.6/sarissa_dhtml.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="js/ajaxtooltip.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<style media="screen, projection" type="text/css">
    @import "css/loader.css";
   @import "css/en_us/language.css";
   @import "css/en_us/battlegroups.css";
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
//

if (is_ie7)
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="css/ie7.css" />');

if (is_ie6 && !is_ie7)
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="css/ie.css" />');

if (is_opera)
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="css/opera.css" />');

if (is_opera && is_mac)
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="css/opera-mac.css" />');

if (is_safari)
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="css/safari.css" />');

if (is_mac)
    document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="css/mac.css" />');

//
</script>

The sniffer code:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/share ... tection.js

An "ancient" document detailing Mozilla's guidelines against sniffing browser identification:

http://devedge-temp.mozilla.org/viewsource/2001/fep/

An even more ancient page about the sniffer:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-develop ... _type.html
ScratchMonkey
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Postby zanix » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:48 am

LoL
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby PleegWat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:37 pm

I know there is also a user agent check when getting the main data xml (armory.worldofwarcraft/wow-europe.com/character-info.xml?r=realm&n=char)

For pulling data from it we've tried no user agent or a made-up user agent, and that didn't work. Using FF's user agent with a fake version number didn't work either.
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby Vertiblade » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Code: Select all
$curl = curl_init();
    $fp = fopen("xml/Atrocity.xml", "w");
   $useragent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1";
    curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, $useragent);
    curl_setopt ($curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/guild-info.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Atrocity");
   curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_FILE, $fp);
    curl_exec ($curl);
    curl_close ($curl);

That will fetch the XML for you. I am writing it to a file as you can see, but anything is possible.
Vertiblade
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby robojerk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:54 pm

Someone has made a siggen that pulls off the armory.
http://jebus.geek.nz/WoW/armory/
For the Horde!
robojerk
WR.net Master
WR.net Master

Postby Kruskk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 am

Wow, its pretty simple, but it works.
Kruskk
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby niagairt » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 pm

This would be nice to able to, at the very minimum, pull the character information off it it to "fill-in" for Guildies who haven't updated yet.....
Rogues may do it from behind, but mages do it hard and fast.
niagairt
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby durnn » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:20 pm

The refresh rate isn't too impressive, and lends itself to the need for storing the character data locally.

For example, I logged off ~12:00 midnight last night. Today, when I came into work ~8:30 AM, it showed the gear I had acquired last night. However, when I checked again ~4:00 PM, I received the info:

"Character Data Awaiting Refresh

It seems like the character you are trying to view hasn't been active for a while. Since the Armory only tracks active characters, this character needs to have been active recently for detailed character data to show up."

So, an "active character" means you have to have been logged in within the past 16 hrs? Pretty frustrating (especially because that same info is shown on the siggen listed above).
durnn
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby zeryl » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:39 am

Ya, it seems to be REALLY flaky on availability ever since it was made live.

I had a guildie I was using for testing, but 8 hours later, it's "gone". Hopefully they up the timeout limit. One week would be a bit better, IMO
zeryl
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby SethDeBlade » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:14 pm

since they started this "service" all my chars are inactive :scratch:

Very strange ;) :D
SethDeBlade
WR.net Expert
WR.net Expert

Postby Kaelon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:13 pm

That sig-gen is pretty awesome! Anyone know of any other tools people have put together for integrating Armory data into other websites?
Kaelon
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby Kristoff22 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:09 pm

As soon as I noticed that the armory produces XML, I started working on a parser. I've gotten decently far into an integration module, but it's not ready for beta testing. I plan to make it integrate for 1-n characters, done by a checklist. You can have it automatically check all characters or simply those based on the last time they updated.

This does not, however, get to the root of the problem. It would be far nicer to have Roster Managers that are responsible for updating the entire roster for all guildies. The guild members could manually or automatically update the Managers with their data in WoW, and they in turn would update Roster. This, however, is way off topic, and deserves its own thread.
Kristoff22
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat